Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dual monitor problem - xpost

Options
  • 16-04-2009 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭

Crosspostig here as I know alot of peeps will be using twin setups, I hope its ok

I'm running a monitor with my laptop - Its set up so the Monitor is on the left, and my laptop is on the right
    However, sometimes for no reason it starts flickering and after like 15 seconds it comes back, - disturbing my work/playing in the meantime though but now the monitor is on the "Right" of my laptop which is very annoying

Any reason why this is happening or how to stop it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Have you updated your drivers? A program called ultramon might help as well, you can use it to set up dual monitors better than normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Yep - ultramon is your answer.
    Also check your cables are secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

Ok what can ultramon do to set up dual monitors better than normal?
    Like it extends to the right for me as standard, as I set it up to do, how can this be improved?

I just found it easier to manage than the original Nvidia SW at the time I was using 2 monitors
    I think you can do stuff like extend your task bar, duplicate displays, run apps on a certain display etc.. It's also easier to select which side you want your monitor on. Or whether you want it above or relow your existing monitor...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

what are you using to hook your laptop up, HDMI, DVI or VGA?

Using a different app, really shouldn't change much (but will give you more flexibility), it sounds like there is either a hardware or driver issue.

Try out the app, no harm but firstly I would test it out with another cable, same result, update your GFX card drivers, if there are no newer drivers, try reinstalling.

I presume you have had the setup previously working with no problems? If so, can you think of anything you changed/updated prior to the issue surfacing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

With regards the setup to the right or left...... This can normally be switched easily. I'm not sure if you've tried this already, perhaps there is something else wrong.

Just open the display settings. You'll see two black screens in a window, 1 and 2. One of them is the laptop and one the monitor. You can just drag and drop either screen to the opposite side. Hope that helps.

Not sure about the flickering.

that ultramon is pretty class... cheers for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

While on the discussion on monitors..I have 2 24' monitors on my desktop. If i'm watching HSP, pokerstars.tv, streaming etc on one and i have the screen enlarged, as soon as i click on my other monitor, it resets to normal sh1tty box size.

Makes it a pain watching anything while playing poker. Is there a way around this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

Makes it a pain watching anything while playing poker. Is there a way around this?
    What player are you using?

Flushdraw wrote: »
    While on the discussion on monitors..I have 2 24' monitors on my desktop. If i'm watching HSP, pokerstars.tv, streaming etc on one and i have the screen enlarged, as soon as i click on my other monitor, it resets to normal sh1tty box size.

Ya, that happens me as well.
    btw, this is when it is in Full Screen mode. A quick workaround is to not make it full screen, but to expand the window manually to the size of the screen. It still doesn't look as good obviously, but somewhat satisfactory.

I'm sure there is a way to fix it properly, but this is as far as I got the other day when found the problem.

• Advertisement

fatguy wrote: »
    What player are you using?

Its for everything really..when watching youtube, pokertube, pokerstars.tv or any default player. If i click the expand button and watch it 2x, 4x or fullscreen, as soon as i click on my table on the other monitor it returns to normal size.

jimbling wrote: »
    Ya, that happens me as well.
    btw, this is when it is in Full Screen mode. A quick workaround is to not make it full screen, but to expand the window manually to the size of the screen. It still doesn't look as good obviously, but somewhat satisfactory.

I'm sure there is a way to fix it properly, but this is as far as I got the other day when found the problem.

Yeah when watching a downloaded video this is fine but for something like pokertube where you cant manually expand a video, its no use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

Flushdraw wrote: »
    Yeah when watching a downloaded video this is fine but for something like pokertube where you cant manually expand a video, its no use
    Unfortunately that's just how Flash video player works, as far as I can tell. Annoying, isn't it? I guess you could ring up Adobe and give them ****. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I was having the same problems with the resizing of windows after clicking, particularly when trying to watch a baseball game in fullscreen. Someone at mlb forum cam up with a fix but I haven't tried it yet.

Here's the thread:

http://www.mlbsupport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3956&sid=8a3247a8b8cc73b643088f2c593d712f

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

jimbling wrote: »
    With regards the setup to the right or left...... This can normally be switched easily. I'm not sure if you've tried this already, perhaps there is something else wrong.

Just open the display settings. You'll see two black screens in a window, 1 and 2. One of them is the laptop and one the monitor. You can just drag and drop either screen to the opposite side. Hope that helps.

Not sure about the flickering.

Obviously I have this set up, I'm saying that it reverses the way I have it set up

Its a new monitor I bought yesterday so no It has never been working perfectly

Now when I turn my computer on the monitor wont even turn on? So weird, it has power etc but the screen is blank, and my computer thinks my monitor is strecthing across

valor wrote: »
    Obviously I have this set up, I'm saying that it reverses the way I have it set up

Its a new monitor I bought yesterday so no It has never been working perfectly

Now when I turn my computer on the monitor wont even turn on? So weird, it has power etc but the screen is blank, and my computer thinks my monitor is strecthing across

have you tried using different cables? Or a different connection method totally?
    i.e. if you are currently connecting with VGA try using HDMI or DVI(I'm assuming the connections exist).

It is most likely a hardware problem with the monitor though.

I'm bringing this pos back and getting another one, **** Samsung

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

valor wrote: »
    I'm bringing this pos back and getting another one, **** Samsung
    Lmfao, the problem deffo is not the monitor.

The problem is what moniotor you have selected as your default monitor. Check out the display settings.
    I had the same problem when I had 2 monitors on my old desktop.
    What Graphics card do you have? Are you using the Graphics card display settings or Windows ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Plan_D

Using a laptop monitor setting here for yonks.

My setup in Display control panel is:
    1 = Laptop (Ticked Use Device as primary Monitor)
    2= Screen (Extend my Desk top onto this ticked)
    1= Right
    2= Left

I also use the free version of multimon.

When you open a first session of a program, such as excel, when you drag it to the second monitor (Or send it there via multimon) and then expand it to fill it, provided you don't drag it back it will always open in the second screen. Works for any program I have tried it with. Email/internets Screen 1/ Poker etc screen 2

I can't see how your issue is the monitor fault. Sounds like a setup issue.

• Advertisement

changed it for a HP monitor earlier today and now it works perfectly without having changed any of the settings etc

well perfectly is a lie, it still boots up windows with the sides swapped around but apart from that

anybody have any idea how to fix the problem where when I reboot it always has the monitor to the right when I want it to the lefT? it works perfectly apart from that and I have no idea why it keeps doing it

Ultramon doesnt help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭pierce hard

^^ I always have that problem too, and couldnt figure out a way to fix it.

Please post Laptop make, GPU make, connections used and screen grab of your Display setting and we'll see if we can spot something?

Alright, I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

I'm using VGA connection
    Its a Dell Inspiro 9400, 2 years old. Runs fairly well overal
    Whats GPU? Video Card is ATI Mobility Radeon X1400

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/5572/displayshutdown.jpg
    http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/4159/displayloadup.jpg

The first one is how I leave it when I shut it down, the second is how it always loads up

fwiw if I have it setup properly and then use "lock this comptuer" when I am going AFk, it reverts to the wrong side when I log back in

I don't know if you are using the latest ATI Catalyst drivers. When I was using a dual monitor system (mind you it was a desktop) I was using the catalyst software to manage my displays.
    Get it here:
    http://www.driverheavendownloads.net/ati.htm
    FWIW I'm not sure that there is a catalyst driver for a laptop but you can get a modder for the regular ATI ones here:
    http://www.driverheaven.net/modtool.php
    This looks like it'll solve your problem. Check out the screenshots at the bottom tof the page. There's a displays manager dropdown menu that you'll find very easy to use.
    Read the instal notes carefully though.

Advertisement