Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Leak - Not sure form where though??

Options
  • 15-04-2009 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭

Hi, i have an opel combo van, which at the moment has a very wet floor on the drivers side.

Im trying to find where the leak is coming from and im not too sure.
    I had the mechanic look at it while in for service but he couldnt find anything.

Someone i know had a look at it and thinks it could be coming in from the windscreen.

If this is so, how will i know for def, and if its the windscreen, can i get it replaced on my windscreen cover on my insurance.

Or maybe theres some seal or something i could get put on it.

Thanks in advance.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

had a windscreen chip done recently on my insurance. The glass company said it would only be covered if a stone did it...if ya know what i mean. Check the drivers door seals also, they can let water in on many cars.

Best way to check is get someone powering the areas and you sit inside to check for leaks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ok i get you.;)

I had brought it back to the garage where i bought it as it was still in warrenty and they had a look at it and said something was blocked, but i dont think they fixed it as its bad again, so thats why im thinking it wasnt what they had looked at in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Could be finding its way into the interior due to blocked drain holes in the scuttle not letting water away - I'd start with that as it is a common source of leaks in cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Leaks can the hardest problems to diagnose - your mechanic will have to get the water-hose out and try to source the spot that the water is getting in. There's no point condemning the windscreen without proof - water follows gravity; it could be just as easily leaking in from the rear and pooling in the drivers footwell.

Try get it into a mechanic who is willing to give it the time and attention it needs!

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Could be finding its way into the interior due to blocked drain holes in the scuttle not letting water away - I'd start with that as it is a common source of leaks in cars.

Hi Brian, can i ask where these scuttles and drain holes are? Thanks, i just wouldnt have a clue where to start looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Not familar with the Combo but in general the scuttle is the bodywork under the windscreen, open the bonnet and you should see a sort of tray under/beside the windscreen, this can fill up with leaves and debris. The drain holes are probably towards the sides near where the front wings meet. You might find a drain hole near where it says "windscreen wash" in the following image
    bonnet1.jpg

Oh brill, thanks for that Brian, will def have a look tomorrow.:)

Advertisement