Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

So, never buy private?

Options
  • 15-04-2009 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

So, never buy private?

true or not true

love to hear your thoughts guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Depends on what you're buying, how much you're paying, and whether you know your stuff or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I buy private because the money I save can be used to fix any problems that might arise a couple of years after the 3 or 6 month Garage warranty runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭target assassin

know nothing lol

first car so only 1g

hope to only have it as a run around for a year or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

If you are spending 1g i think you will get a much better deal private as for that price something a dealer will be selling is probably a trade in they want rid of quick and may have been driven to an inch of it's death before the owner traded it. I'd stick to something with a reliable reputation to start with, then try to get one that looks like the owner gave it some TLC, you should check out www.carsurvey.org for reviews on certain models and their reliability. On www.adverts.ie there's usually a fair few decent cars in or around the 1-1.5g asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I bought private, a year no later no issues.

FSH, had it checked out as well. I was very slow to do it though at first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

i always stuck with a dealer because you have more come back if there are any problems. Its also a bit of assurance that you wont have to go to the hassle of chasing issues etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

I would never buy from a dealer again, yes I'm bitter ;)

There are better deals to be had buying private from the UK, and that's what I have done for my past 3 cars along with 2 other family members cars.

Any of the Irish dealers I have dealt with over the years have been unknowledgeable about the product they are selling and mostly unhelpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Dealers in Ireland (and the UK) generally dont sell (through lack of stock or crazy pricing) the cars I buy. Ive never really even questioned buying private?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭carface

OP with a budget of a 1,000euro dont rule out private nor dealer, theres no rule to what you will find, there are lots of good cars available for small money, buy on condition regardless of year.
    Buying privately V from a dealer V importing a car yourself is a totally different debate when you have big money to play with.
    all the best

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The only €1k cars generally sold by dealers are buckets of rubbish which were taken in as trade-ins, they are usually are sold as seen with no warranty. So this puts you in the same position as buying from a private seller.

Imo irrespective of whether you buy a €1k from a dealer or a private seller the same rules apply, bring a good mechanic with you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 legalmillie

The only good thing about buying from a dealer is the comeback. If you buy privately you will be stuck with what you buy unless you know a bit about cars and get a good mechanic to look it over. There are lots of good deals online now where you can pick up something pretty cheap. Car dealers can't sell anything these days so you would probably pick up a good deal in a garage. Look at cbg, carzone.ie, whatdeal.ie etc. You will find something on them. If you're looking for something private try donedeal, gumtree etc.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I only ever buy from dealers.. that extra 4 or 5k is really only a small sum to pay for the peace of mind. They usually do nice coffee too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The only good thing about buying from a dealer is the comeback. If you buy privately you will be stuck with what you buy unless you know a bit about cars and get a good mechanic to look it over. There are lots of good deals online now where you can pick up something pretty cheap. Car dealers can't sell anything these days so you would probably pick up a good deal in a garage. Look at cbg, carzone.ie, whatdeal.ie etc. You will find something on them. If you're looking for something private try donedeal, gumtree etc.

Best of luck.

On a €1k car you will have very little or no comeback from a dealer. Most cars in this price range are "sold as seen" which means no warranty.

Advertisement