Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

passat v6 2.5 TDI

Options
  • 15-04-2009 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Hi all im looking for anyones opinion on the above mentioned car,i've owned passats in the past but nothing bigger than a 1.9tdi 100bhp,im wondering how much of a step up is the 2.5 v6 150bhp tdi from what im used to,are there any common faults with this car,whats fuel consumption like,are servicing/parts much more expensive than on a standard 1.9tdi passat?and anybody know where would i find one doesnt seem to be any on carzone as i would love to take one out for a test drive,or anybody have any suggestions for similairly well powered diesel saloon cars????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭pablosd

ok so they average a bit over 40mpg and 35mpg for automatic, with roughly 9.0 seconds from 0-60, i suppose there wouldnt me much of a difference in reliability between 1.9tdi and 2.5tdi, air mass resistor, dual mass flywheel, elec windows, boot lock are the only issues i can think of, but for the parts you will pay premium as its higher powered engine not as common and known as gud old 1.9tdi. I know there is f*k all of them around, i'd say it would be easier if you start looking for a4 or a6 2.5 tdi, there is few of them around....
    maybe mercedes e270cdi?? or bmw 525tds or 530d(excellent diesel)
    what is your budget by the way??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

triple-M wrote: »
    Hi all im looking for anyones opinion on the above mentioned car,i've owned passats in the past but nothing bigger than a 1.9tdi 100bhp,im wondering how much of a step up is the 2.5 v6 150bhp tdi from what im used to,are there any common faults with this car,whats fuel consumption like,are servicing/parts much more expensive than on a standard 1.9tdi passat?and anybody know where would i find one doesnt seem to be any on carzone as i would love to take one out for a test drive,or anybody have any suggestions for similairly well powered diesel saloon cars????

Would seem kind of pointless when you can easily get the same bhp with much lower road tax from a 1.9TDI. It seems to be a fairly old design of an engine but bulletproof by all accounts - the old Volvo 850 had the same engine and they're known for being good to 350000+ miles

If you're looking into the higher capacity diesel route I would suggest the following as being alternative choices:

Volvo S60 2.4D
    BMW x30D models
    Honda Accord CTDI
    Mercedes E320CDI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

pablosd wrote: »
    ok so they average a bit over 40mpg and 35mpg for automatic, with roughly 9.0 seconds from 0-60, i suppose there wouldnt me much of a difference in reliability between 1.9tdi and 2.5tdi, air mass resistor, dual mass flywheel, elec windows, boot lock are the only issues i can think of, but for the parts you will pay premium as its higher powered engine not as common and known as gud old 1.9tdi. I know there is f*k all of them around, i'd say it would be easier if you start looking for a4 or a6 2.5 tdi, there is few of them around....
    maybe mercedes e270cdi?? or bmw 525tds or 530d(excellent diesel)
    what is your budget by the way??
    budget,10k could easily access 1 or 2k more if i really needed to ,hmmmm i never even thought of the a6 2.5 tdi i must look into it ,needs to be manual though are most if not all a6's 2.5tdi auto?could be mistaken tho,does a 530d not have a turbo kit on it as opposed to the 525tds?

budget,10k could easily access 1 or 2k more if i really needed to ,hmmmm i never even thought of the a6 2.5 tdi i must look into it ,needs to be manual though are most if not all a6's 2.5tdi auto?could be mistaken tho,does a 530d not have a turbo kit on it as opposed to the 525tds?

They're both turbo diesels, the 525d is an older engine design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭pablosd

it depends theres autos and manuals, id say theres more manuals in republic,
    bmw s are both turbo d, but i heard 525tds is rubbish against 530d in terms of reliability and performance

theres something to consider with your budget:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/882239 A4 2.5 TDI 180brake

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/856221 A6 Allroad 180brake

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/878559 A4 2.5 TDI 150brake??

they are all manual..
    good hunting :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

They're both turbo diesels, the 525d is an older engine design.

Are you sure? The VAG V6 2.5TDI is absolutely ancient. Very old school diesel tech. Its not the same as the Touareg R5 2.5TDI engine.

While it sounds (audibly) much better than the 4pot 1.9TDI and its very tolerant to running on Veg Oil (so Ive read), its lethargic 9.3s 0-60 and 38-39mpg are pretty poor given the alternatives.

Unless you can source it for comfortably less than the 1.9TDI I would seriously look at alternatives. The newer 2.0TDI is better performance, MPG and tax.

Alternatively remapping a 1.9TDI (or 2.0TDI) would give you a better all round vehicle.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Are you sure? The VAG V6 2.5TDI is absolutely ancient. Very old school diesel tech. Its not the same as the Touareg R5 2.5TDI engine.

While it sounds (audibly) much better than the 4pot 1.9TDI and its very tolerant to running on Veg Oil (so Ive read), its lethargic 9.3s 0-60 and 38-39mpg are pretty poor given the alternatives.

Unless you can source it for comfortably less than the 1.9TDI I would seriously look at alternatives. The newer 2.0TDI is better performance, MPG and tax.

Alternatively remapping a 1.9TDI (or 2.0TDI) would give you a better all round vehicle.

No I meant that the x25tds had been around for longer than the x30d - I know the VAG 2.5TDI is probably older than both.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,140 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That 2.5 lump is ancient.

OP have you looked at anything other than VAG cars, no offence but there is so much choice out there it would be daft to ignore them for the sake of sticking with VAG.

bazz26 wrote: »
    That 2.5 lump is ancient.

OP have you looked at anything other than VAG cars, no offence but there is so much choice out there it would be daft to ignore them for the sake of sticking with VAG.
    im keeping an open mind,i just got kinda used to the vag's,but basically what im looking for is a well powered large diesel saloon car thats reliable and practical and that gives me 35-45mpg normal driving

I just found this car on a northern ireland website,looks to be what im after,any opinions anyone??is it well priced its kinda hard to tell when i've nothing to compare it to,on the upside after vrt it will still be well within my budget :D:D

http://www.usedcarsni.com/23187181

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Ford Mondeo 2.2 ST. TDCI (04 to 06) - should get them in the UK - rare here.
    155 bhp normaly but 170 bhp chipped. Very quick car and good to drive. All the goodies too. Only thing to watch is Dual Mass Flywheel. - only on some models so check Honest John web site for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭enviro

I just found this car on a northern ireland website,looks to be what im after,any opinions anyone??is it well priced its kinda hard to tell when i've nothing to compare it to,on the upside after vrt it will still be well within my budget :D:D

http://www.usedcarsni.com/23187181

Looks like a very clean example, go for it I say.

enviro wrote: »
    Looks like a very clean example, go for it I say.
    I cant believe i find one on the island of ireland they seem to be like gold dust :D:D:D happy days ,im looking forward to arranging a test drive:D:D

Advertisement