Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with French Beans. (pics)

Options
  • 15-04-2009 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭

I planted these out about three weeks ago . I turned compost deep into the soil .

They where started in a propagator but have not grown at all in since put out.

a few have died and the 3 remaining are getting yellow spots and are dieing.

DSC00586__Large_.JPG

this is very frustrating. they get 6 hours of direct sun everyday (weather permitting) I had to use veg insecticide on them as there was little black bugs on them already.

I started these 2 weeks ago inside in shamrock compost and seem to be a whole lot healthier. Same size as the 6 weeks old out side ones
    DSC00587__Large_.JPG

What do I need to do to make them survive when out side.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

the new plants need to go out soon I think.

The little paper pots I used and starting to spring leaks.

roots pushing through. they all seem in perfect condition . I hope to keep them that way.
    New_Image__Large_.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

You don't say where you live but I'm thinking you may have been a bit early planting out. There have been quite a few fairly sharp frosts here in Wexford over the last couple of weeks and this would have put paid to French beans. Heavy soil is also a suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Clare man

I think you were too early, I have some in the tunnel which aer doing ok, the books says it is too early, plenty of time to start again and not plant out till late this month earliest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

thanks. In naas area. No frost but it is cold.

I will have to pot the little ones for later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

gsxr1 wrote: »
    thanks. In naas area. No frost but it is cold.

I will have to pot the little ones for later.
    You need to acclimatize them stick them out for a few hours each day gradually leaving them out longer before planting them out. The sudden shock of being put out can slow/kill some plants, especially when its colder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

still a bit early for french beans although if you plant out the ones you have started under a cloche the should be fine......alternatively you can direct sow the seeds in about another week and by the time they start to show the threat of frost will have eased.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Aeneas

I agree with those who say it is too early to plant out French Beans. Here in south Wexford where the weather is milder than in most parts I don't sow my French Beans (dwarf and climbing) until the beginning of May. I keep them in a cold frame or in the polytunnel to germinate and grow on; and I plant them out at the beginning of June. I have tried earlier timings but in general I find that they don't do well. Later sowings are more reliable and the plants grow quickly in the warmer conditions usually catching up on earlier sowings. They are rather tender plants and don't like cool, wet, sticky conditions.

Advertisement