Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get your photos displayed in public?

Options
  • 15-04-2009 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm wondering what's the best way to try to get some photographs displayed in public/cafes etc. .
    1. Is it best just to approach places and talk to them and bring a portfolio?
    2. Has anyone done this before and what approach did you take?
    3. Presume that you'd pay for framing etc. yourself and the cafe/gallery etc. just displays them for you?
    Some of my photographs are online here (more to be added soon- site not 100% finished so still a few teething problems) at http://patrick.dinneen.com/

In my opinion a lot of my pics aren't any better than many others on the photography forum but I think my style is distinctive and I'd like to see how they would be received....

cheers,
    Pa.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Some really nice shots on your site, two that stick out are the dew on the ground and the coloured pencils.

Maybe Barry will look in and give you some advice on exhibiting as he has done a lot of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

i used to do a bit of this in the ole days. the benefits for them is that they get free art to cover their walls that's ever changing!!

one place used to let you leave business cards at the counter which was handy when someone wanted to purchase :pac:

another place which was a restaurant more than a cafe used to put the artist details on the menus and their name in any print ads they did locally and only asked for a tenner comission for a sale (that was pounds in them days like :D)

tis a fab and easy way to get your stuff out there - best of luck with it and let us know where you end up so we can come and gawk ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭emul

I did this recently. Approached restaurant and made appt, turned up with one framed image and laptop to show portfolio. The gain for them is walls decorated and €15 per photo sold!! I printed 12*10 images & got framed for about €40 each. Remember to bring hammer & nails (spirit level if multiple on same wall). I did up a small bio and description of each photo.

The easy part was getting the space in the restaurant, the difficult issue was choosing what to print / size etc...eventually took lots of advice from fellow photographers and got ruthless about my own work. Feel free to PM me if you've other questions.

BTW from other photographers it seems to take about 2-3 months to break even.

Good luck with it.

emul

Advertisement