Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recall notice on a 10 year old car!!

Options
  • 15-04-2009 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Got a recall notice for my 10 year old passat today in the post!:D Had a good laugh when i saw it. It is for the replacement of both track rod ends! Just found it funny that they are recalling a car after 10 years. Has anyone else ever heard of a recall this long after production?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

What's so funny about that?

Just because Irish people throw away cars as soon as the first NCT comes up, doesn't mean that every other nation does the same.

Dunno what the current law on product liability is, but I would assume that it stretches for longer than 10 years in case of (defective by design) cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

If the problem is only rearing it's head now then what's the problem?

I had a fair bit of work done on my clio for no money at all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Well im certainly not in a position to throw it away, its a well looked after car and will be kept for a good few years yet!
    I just didnt think the product liability would stretch to 10 years. Must look it up. Its a free tracking for me, so happy with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

I'm not saying this is a ploy by VW marketing but..................................
    I remember another manufacturer recalling thousands of their cars for a possible rad cap defect. Well, it was worth the cost as their got great marketing info etc and allowed the dealer the opportunity to sell a car or advise on other defects to the recalled vehicles.

Edit: Did it state specifically that your car will be fitted with new track rod ends?

Edit: Did it state specifically that your car will be fitted with new track rod ends?

It stated in the letter that firstly an inspection would take place and if required, new ends fitted. However, when i called my local VW dealer, they said that the info they had, said they must be changed regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

My 97 Polo was recently recalled for servo hoses to be replaced by VW

alexmcred wrote: »
    Beats me so! I was hoping for some sort of record!:D

alexmcred wrote: »

Now I'm strongly coming to the conclusion that VW are carrying out a marketing campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Saves you paying for new track rod ends when they go ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I had the rear halfshafts replaced by Toyota under a factory recall of landcruisers last year. Mine is a 97 model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I tried to get the radio in my grannies Yaris replaced under a recall issued in the UK but Toyota Ireland refused to acknowledge it.

Which led me to come up with an ingenious solution of putting an old radio in where the ashtray was using a modified radio cage, quite chuffed with myself I was.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I remember when VW launched the heater pipe/matrix recall in the mid 1990's and cars (Golfs, Jettas & Passats) back as far as 1984 were included. This recall (80A5) was launched as a result of a German lady having her legs scalded by a sudden bursting of the heater matrix.

A recall affecting cars that far back is obviously done for safety reasons. Don't ignore the letter - get it done. If you don't you will get subsequent registered letters and the final one will state something along the lines of "you are choosing to ignore this........"

Im definately not going to ignore it- its due to be done on monday morning. As i said before, il consider it a free tracking!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

How are people who haven't had the car since new and haven't bought from or had a service in a main dealer ever supposed to find out about such recalls?

How are people who haven't had the car since new and haven't bought from or had a service in a main dealer ever supposed to find out about such recalls?
    Well im all of the above and the letter found me. It did have a section asking, if i was not the current owner, to fill out the details of the new owner and return. Not sure if VW would be allowed access to registrations office in shannon.

Well im all of the above and the letter found me. It did have a section asking, if i was not the current owner, to fill out the details of the new owner and return. Not sure if VW would be allowed access to registrations office in shannon.

For a safety recall Shannon would assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

crosstownk wrote: »
    I remember when VW launched the heater pipe/matrix recall in the mid 1990's and cars (Golfs, Jettas & Passats) back as far as 1984 were included. This recall (80A5) was launched as a result of a German lady having her legs scalded by a sudden bursting of the heater matrix.

A recall affecting cars that far back is obviously done for safety reasons. Don't ignore the letter - get it done. If you don't you will get subsequent registered letters and the final one will state something along the lines of "you are choosing to ignore this........"

+1.

They don't recall unless it's a potentially serious safety issue.
    "We need to fix this on your car before it kills you"
    "But my car is working properly at the moment so I don't need to have it fixed. Now, I'm just going for a long drive around the tops of the cliffs. Bye all!"

Advertisement