Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employment Location

Options
  • 15-04-2009 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to find data on where people are employed (their local authority area), versus where their usual residential location is, but I've hit a brick wall.

What I'm looking for is something like this:

Persons in employment in Dublin city: total 200,000
    Then the breakdown - usual residential location:
    Dublin city 100,000
    Fingal 10,000
    South Dublin 10,000
    DLR 10,000
    Meath 10,000
    Wicklow 10,000
    Kildare 10,000
    Leitrim 28

Then the same data repeated for all the other local authority areas, so instead of a total and breakdown for Dublin city, you'd have Fingal, SD, Wicklow, Laois, Waterford, Mayo, Donegal, etc., each with a breakdown of the county/city authority area of residence and the number from each area.

I hope my explanation is good enough. I tried searching this page, but while I can get data no problem on how far people are from work, or how long it takes them to get there, I can't seem to find data on where people work versus where they live.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Mods: I meant to post this in the Infrastructure forum, since I think the audience there probably has a better chance of having an answer for me. Can you move it if you think that's appropriate?

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The CSO has this. There is a specific database with this information in it, or information very like it, and it is broken down as far as ED.

However, there are a lot of special rules about it and access to it is restricted. I think this is because they are concerned about the identification of individuals.

But for the level you want (by LA area) it should be possible to get what you want.

It may also be possible to get information on where the people who work in (say) Dublin City live.

The DTO may also have some of this information in their transport model (which I am not very familiar with).

Have you tried ringing the CSO and asking them? Make it clear to them that you are only looking for the total county-by-county number and not the ED level, and I'm sure they'll sort you out.

There could be a charge, it's up to them and what you are using the information for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

This is the CSO database known as POWCAR. A number of papers and reports have looked at this data, and probably have the summary information you are looking for, search for POWCAR in Google.

Advertisement