Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this true

Options
  • 15-04-2009 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭

i read recently that irish workers built many of the railways across europe, but somehow i just doubt it.

for that to happen there would have to have been at one point a large emmigration of irish to france(most likely) or somewhere else on mainland europe and i don't think this ever happened, at least it was never recorded.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Nah, not true. We did emigrate to France and other European countries in rather modest numbers in the 1600s though. Tens of thousands of Irishmen driven out by the Cromwellian wars fought all over Europe, looking for a good scrap :) I think that's why American's call us the fighting Irish :pac:

After WWII there was a bit of a tradition from young Irish people to go to Germany or somewhere for the summer to help them rebuild the country. Many of those disgusting apartment blocks in German cities had been helped built by Irish seasonal emigrants.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

We certainly had a lot of people who worked on the UK railroads but I very much doubt the story about mainland Europe.

Advertisement