Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

God Murdered Jesus

Options
  • 15-04-2009 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

I'm probably not the first one to think of this, in fact I'd bet my house I'm not but I haven't read or heard it anywhere and think it's an interesting little theory.

God as he/it existed before Jesus came to earth consisted of the father and the holy spirit, so let's call that entity god for argument's sake. He decides to send down his only son to forgive our sins apparently. Now, god is omniscient and so he knows full well that Jesus will be crucified and killed in order for the sins to be forgiven, it is his destiny in fact.

In a legal sense, knowledge of certain foreseeable consequences on the part of the perpatrator equates to intention. In order words, if you do something aware of the outcome, you will have intent inferred to you. Murder is unlawful killing (i.e. absence the defence of self defence and in some countries euthenasia) that is intended to cause the death of the victim. Also under legal reasoning god was responsible for the act of causing the death of Jesus as he put in place the chain of events which led to Jesus' death i.e. sending him down into a society where acts such as crucifixation took place. Furthermore even as if this wasn't enough, as he was his father, God was under an obligation to intervene to protect his son and so would also have been guilty of omission.

In summary, God/the father murdered Jesus. Thoughts?
    I decided to post this here because I could anticipate a locked thread and ridiculous responses in the christianity forum.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

This would be better off in the Christianity forum. God murdered Jesus, in the same way that he has "murdered" every human being that has ever lived and died of 'natural' causes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Dan133269 wrote: »
    I decided to post this here because I could anticipate a locked thread... in the christianity forum.

You are most certainly correct with this guess. Though it's your attitude, not the question, that would be the cause of the locked thread.

Anywho, I'm not sure what use it is directing this question towards people who don't believe in God. One could almost surmise that you've just made a statement and are interested in only hearing opinions that coddle your theory. No doubt I'm completely wrong here.

:rolleyez:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ha ha never thought about it like that. Good thinking there.
    God was an O.G

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Um, I don't think this is even a contentious issue. Jesus was sent to die for our sins.

I think better examples of God's murderousness include drowning all life on earth, incinerating cities, Job's family and slaughtering an entire generation of Egyptians. Don't even need an argument here, the Bible is very clear.

Now most believers will present tortuously mangled rationalisations to justify or limit the severity of these events of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

Zillah wrote: »
    Jesus was sent to die for our sins.

I thought it was for the sin of the woman giving credit to a talking snake and thereby eating some fruit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Christians have a different notion of what a person should be held personally responsible for. Eve's sin is my sin. Apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

Christians have a different notion of what a person should be held personally responsible for. Eve's sin is my sin. Apparently.

Never mind Zillah, God has paid your fruit related debt to himself by coming to Planet Earth as his son then having himself killed and turned into a zombie. A flawless plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MatthewVII

I think better examples of God's murderousness include drowning all life on earth, incinerating cities, Job's family and slaughtering an entire generation of Egyptians. Don't even need an argument here, the Bible is very clear.

Let's not forget all the perfectly unobjectionable tribes who had settled in the land of Canaan who were wiped out when God decided he wanted to move his chosen people there. No sin other than getting in his way. Why couldn't he have chosen somewhere uninhabited, or lushened up a deserted place for them to live?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Um, I don't think this is even a contentious issue. Jesus was sent to die for our sins.

In what sense did Jesus die? OK the whipping and crucifixion wasn't pleasant but if I recall correctly Jesus was 'dead' for 3 days only. In what sense can God die? Jesus is God right, they're the one thing.

Where was Jesus for those 3 days, was he a wretched sinner and ended up in hell, perhaps purgatory of limbo (if those places still exist - I don't keep up)?

I really can't see how anyone can say "Jesus died" with a straight face, our fear and dread of death is that it's the end of our existence, the permanent cessation of our personality and thought processes. Jesus was 'alive', went to heaven for 3 days, came back here for a bit then returned to heaven again, I really don't get the 'died' claim.

Is any Christian actually truly claiming that Jesus died - ie is dead. Is anyone claiming that a part of God actually died that day, an actual irreversible death?

As to the whole God murdered him thing, given all this 'Trinity' stuff and the absolute insistence that Christianity is a monotheistic religion, I think even if you can get over the whole "did he die?" question above, I'm not sure it's possible to murder oneself, the correct questions is "Did God commit suicide for our sins?"

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

He's never been charged with murder as AFAIK. , never mind been convicted. What happened to innocent until proven guilty?
    He could sue you for libel OP. Very hard to prove anyway and any DNA evidence is long gone I would imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

pH wrote: »
    As to the whole God murdered him thing, given all this 'Trinity' stuff and the absolute insistence that Christianity is a monotheistic religion, I think even if you can get over the whole "did he die?" question above, I'm not sure it's possible to murder oneself, the correct questions is "Did God commit suicide for our sins?"

My sig shows my thoughts on that particular question.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just getting around to this...

What God did or didn't do is really a question for believers. And since the Fanny C has made it clear they're not interested over there, we'll just close it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement