Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portlaoise to Athboy via N80, N52, N51

Options
  • 14-04-2009 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine is traveling to Athboy from Cork over the May Bank Holiday. He wants to avoid Dublin and the M50. What are the roads named above like to drive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd say the roads to Mullingar are pretty poor, but then that's bypassed and the rest of the N52 is Ok while it opens up to WS2 and then there's the M6, and a few km to Tullamore. I remember the N80 being okish a long time ago from Mountmellick to Portlaoise but couldn't vouch for it.

it looks the most sensible route anyhow. It's how I'd go anyhow. the M8 will help get over the worst of the first section.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

I've travelled Cork to Kells myself a good few times by the route you suggested (except the N51).
    The N80 is not the greatest. Some handy overtaking places but for a lot of the time you will be stuck behind local slow moving traffic. Also its a popular route for trucks travelling to the North wanting to avoid Dublin.
    For that reason I have taken to travelling the R400 and R419 if going in daylight hours. Time wise it works out the same but its just feels better to be always moving between 60 and 80 rather than the rarely getting over 80 in a long convoy on the N roads.
    Watch out for Portarlington and the junction with the R400. Sign posting is non existant.

Advertisement