Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fencing and Railings in Cavan and Engineer needs.

Options
  • 14-04-2009 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Well after 3 years I am in. So thanks to all for helping out along the way.

After a chat with the engineer today he is not willing to sign of the house without atleast having the fencing done along the road and railings up on a balcony.

Anyone got contacts in this area for Cavan please PM me.

Also, is it normal for an engineer to refuse sign off the house without addressing these issues? I understand he is covering his end of things and I've not bone to pick with him over it, just wondering has anyone come across this. He said to contact the local Co. Council and ask for there Engineer to come look at the house to discuss finishing off the road edge and to go through drainage etc. Has anyone advise on this too.

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,835 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Well after 3 years I am in. So thanks to all for helping out along the way.
    Congrats. Im sure it a huge relief to reach the finishing post.

After a chat with the engineer today he is not willing to sign of the house without atleast having the fencing done along the road and railings up on a balcony.
    He would be 100% correct on the balcony railings and only doing his job in relation to the roadside fencing.

Anyone got contacts in this area for Cavan please PM me.
    Im not sure what you mean by this but if its another engineer you are looking for then you wont get one. The guy who started and carried out inspections during construction will have to sign off on it all

Also, is it normal for an engineer to refuse sign off the house without addressing these issues? I understand he is covering his end of things and I've not bone to pick with him over it, just wondering has anyone come across this. He said to contact the local Co. Council and ask for there Engineer to come look at the house to discuss finishing off the road edge and to go through drainage etc. Has anyone advise on this too.
    He is giving you a bit of leeway as such by advising you to contact the local office. Sometimes the local roads engineer may agree in writing that you have complied with certain conditions without the full works as set out in your planning permission having been carried out.

On a general note all these issues are basically self certification in that you retain someone in private practice to sign off on all the various matters. Some engineers/architects/technicians are more strict than others. At the end of the day they must be satisfied in their own mind that they are doing the correct thing in declaring that all planning conditions have been complied with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

muffler wrote: »
    Congrats. Im sure it a huge relief to reach the finishing post.

He would be 100% correct on the balcony railings and only doing his job in relation to the roadside fencing.

Im not sure what you mean by this but if its another engineer you are looking for then you wont get one. The guy who started and carried out inspections during construction will have to sign off on it all

He is giving you a bit of leeway as such by advising you to contact the local office. Sometimes the local roads engineer may agree in writing that you have complied with certain conditions without the full works as set out in your planning permission having been carried out.

On a general note all these issues are basically self certification in that you retain someone in private practice to sign off on all the various matters. Some engineers/architects/technicians are more strict than others. At the end of the day they must be satisfied in their own mind that they are doing the correct thing in declaring that all planning conditions have been complied with.

Hi Muffler, yeah its great to be finally in the house.

I've no issue with the engineer in relation to what he wants done. As with most projects it was something I was hoping to save up to do rather than just getting any old thing to suffice his needs. This goes with both the fencing and the railings. As with most self builds we have run over budget so some things need to be put on the long finger. I am looking for people to pm anyone who does these 2 things.

Thanks for your response. I have found him to be very fair in signing of the house and his advise in the closing stages has been great.

I've no an issue with dampness in sections of the basement, but thats for my next tread!

Advertisement