Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary or Secondary Teaching?

Options
  • 14-04-2009 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I was wondering, are there any ONE YEAR postgraduate courses in Ireland whereby you can become a primary school teacher?

Also, im considering secondary teaching too, if i do a PGCE, can i teach in Ireland or does that restrict me to britain and northern ireland? Im worried that Ireland will have too many PGDE grads soon and not enough schools so i feel maybe a PGCE is more useful.

My teaching subjects are irish, business, accounting and economics. I also have a media MA in Audio Visual Production. I'm aware that since film studies is not on the leaving cert, it doesnt really help me with options for secondary teaching?

Finally, does volunteer work with enable ireland/vincent de paul constitute as teaching hours, if you are helping e.g. deprived kids with homwework?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Nick Behan wrote: »
    I was wondering, are there any ONE YEAR postgraduate courses in Ireland whereby you can become a primary school teacher?

Also, im considering secondary teaching too, if i do a PGCE, can i teach in Ireland or does that restrict me to britain and northern ireland? Im worried that Ireland will have too many PGDE grads soon and not enough schools so i feel maybe a PGCE is more useful.

My teaching subjects are irish, business, accounting and economics. I also have a media MA in Audio Visual Production. I'm aware that since film studies is not on the leaving cert, it doesnt really help me with options for secondary teaching?

Finally, does volunteer work with enable ireland/vincent de paul constitute as teaching hours, if you are helping e.g. deprived kids with homwework?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    As far as I know the primary teaching postgrads run for a year and a half. I'm basing this purely on what I have heard from my sister who will be trying to get into one of these courses next year, and I'm open to correction.

You are considering doing the PGCE because you think that Ireland will have too many PGDE grads soon, but as far as I'm concerned we have had far too many PGDE grads for many years. If you are willing to go to the UK to do your course then by all means consider it. It will give you more options. I think that once you have the PGCE done you have to complete an exam on the history of the Education system in Ireland to teach in Ireland, but again I am open to correction.

I've moved your post to its own thread so that you get more replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Nick Behan

Cool thanks a lot for that,

I studied commerce with irish in ucd so unless im mistaken that makes me elligible to teach all the business leaving cert subjects; Accounting, Economics, Business, and Irish. I could be wrong though, im just assuming here.

The course doesnt exist anymore though, ucd scrapped it years ago in favour of Commerce with Chinese!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Yeah just check www.pac.ie for a list of courses and subjects you are entitled to teach. I presume that you are right though, but it's always good to double-check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭scut

If you do the PGDE you'll have to pick 2 out of those 4 subjects and you'll be qualified to teach 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭D.Mar

I thought that you needed two subjects as a focus of the PGDE, but once you have the PGDE or hdip, then you are qualified to can teach anything you have a degree in?

• Advertisement
Advertisement