Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Article - The Dark Side of Dubai

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Hi, Sleipnir

I haven't actually been to Dubai, yet, but i did already read the article that you are referring to, written on the 7th of this month. I was to say the least shocked. It does put a seedy aspect to the pearly white veneer of what is regarded as a paradise. I'm thinking of visiting it all the same though, but after this alarming piece i am having considerable doubt. I don't know if the article is maybe - possibly alarmist or, more than likely well informed... still worrying, i'm not sure that i would like to support a nation that openly turns a blind eye to slavery, in fact I certainly do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Barlett

Yeah I've been twice. Its decent enough, quite fake, like another Vegas to be honest. The slave labour is there, but it's not a dirty secret.

Every country has their own issues and this is one of UAE's. The article is far too critical and biased in my opinion. When you consider how volatile the area is, the Dubai and the UAE are making good progress. In time if they want to become fully integrated in Western society they will have to improve working conditions for Indians.

It's not the hell its painted out to be. Every country has its own horror stories, this article seems to have just compressed them all into one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I dunno, the journalist did write about some of the good things also but the article's main thrust is that the veneer covers up something dark and sinister. I don't think that is bias. He interviewed the people who arrived with the false promise of making money which they could send home, easy working hours and a comfortable existance and also interviewed the Emirati about their views.

I think the most disgusting part was the comments by the expats or that couple who were on holidays there. "Hey, we know there's slave labour here, that's why we come! It's great, we don't have to do anything because the slaves do it all for us. Now that's a holiday!"

The fact that the slavery isn't a dirty secret doesn't make it okay to benefit from it surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Sleipnir wrote: »
    The fact that the slavery isn't a dirty secret doesn't make it okay to benefit from it surely?

I think i agree with you the most on this point. The fact that their culture turns a blind eye to this is unbelievable, it is that of the slave markets in the deep south in America in the 18th century!

Although i believe that there are immigrants who have come here to Ireland and suffer conditions not a million degrees off that, of those, in Dubai.

The most worrying part of the article was the snobbish pride of the citizens interviewed re: the success of Dubai in its infrastructure mainly, at what appears to be zero moral cost.

Advertisement