Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

By approval: Workzones

Options
  • 14-04-2009 9:22am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm doing a dissertation as part of an MSc.

It is looking at the effects of workzones on traffic i.e when one (or more) lane is closed to traffic what happens to that traffic.

Traffic Management is (or should be) constrained by the requirements of Chapter 8 of the Traffic Signs Manual. The Traffic Signs Manual has 6 roads classifications which are based on speed limit, carriageway type and AADT. See attached image.

I’m planning to construct a VISSIM model for each of the road classifications to determine the impact of construction zones to see if the correlate with other international findings mainly one lane closure out of three (in a single direction) can reduce capacity by 50% which is much greater that the expected 33%. For a single lane closure on a 4 lane carriageway the capacity of the carriageway was found to be 60%.

I’m looking for examples of where either there has been works done or there is proposed to be works done in each road classification. I have picked out a few already but they are all tainted by where I live and am looking for other suitable examples preferable in the Greater Dublin Area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

This is because of lane-changing behaviour, yes?

If you want an example where you will not have so much of the lane changing issue, you could look at the situation in the port tunnel when they shut down one of the lanes, as they occasionally do. I would be surprised if this makes too much difference to capacity.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Lane change has something to do with it (and hence why VISSIM is going to be used) but also has to do with different types of layouts, advanced warnings, lenght of work zone etc

Advertisement