Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Block out an eyesore

Options
  • 13-04-2009 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

My neighbour erected this big shed at the back of his garden, without letting me know. I have contacted the council to check my rights, but amazingly it is within the legal perameters. I am looking for a solution to block out this eyesore. Any suggestions????? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

A nice big shed of your own should do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

A tall hedge or bamboo for screening. Either that, or erect a trellis on your side of the fence that reaches near the height of the shed and plant fragrant, evergreen, pleasant climbing plants.

I feel for you. My rear fence is 23.5 metres corner to corner. My rear neighbours have a shed that runs easily 15 metres of that 23.5 with a 5,000 litre water tank hanging off the end of it that takes up another two metres. I'm just using trellis and screening plants and looking on the bright side- the shed obscures their view into my garden and house so it actually creates a bit of ugly-looking privacy for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Callow Man

1 stick of dynamite should do the trick:D

Seriously though, its not that bad, we used to have an abattoir at the back of the garden so you can imagine the smell to go with the very unsightly looking shed that we had to look at every day as well as blue bottles as big as cats. We have sold the house since luckly enough.
    In your case a few climbers and some trellis should cover over most of that fence and shed.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Anduril

If you want something REALLY fast growing, try eucalyptus. I got 2 plants in 3 inch pots 2 years ago, about 6 ins high. One was approaching 10 feet high this Spring and I had to cut it back.
    A word of advice though - google it first. It seems to have a reputation for cracking walls and destroying swimming pools (the roots head for water). It might solve that shed problem for you all by itself!
    Smells lovely too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

You could raise the beds at the side and plant higher, iyswim. You might get an extra two feet of height instantly with whatever you decide to plant.

Nice neighbours btw. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I had same issue with my neighbour and used willow screening.

Put 2x1 battens horizontally screwed to your existing fence and then secure the willow to it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

the willow is not for me, clematis montana rubens, it is pretty vigerous, hedera helix goldheart, and rosa albertine, the 3 should be got for about 20 euro, they need no care just a little feed in the springtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

2 stroke wrote: »
    A nice big shed of your own should do the trick.
    How about a 40' container on a ramp?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

A tall hedge or bamboo for screening. Either that, or erect a trellis on your side of the fence that reaches near the height of the shed and plant fragrant, evergreen, pleasant climbing plants.

I feel for you. My rear fence is 23.5 metres corner to corner. My rear neighbours have a shed that runs easily 15 metres of that 23.5 with a 5,000 litre water tank hanging off the end of it that takes up another two metres. I'm just using trellis and screening plants and looking on the bright side- the shed obscures their view into my garden and house so it actually creates a bit of ugly-looking privacy for me.

Majd

here's a tip, why not grow a line of Dodonea visc Purpurea?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I have a couple of those already Sonnenblumen, but I have to be careful what I put along my back fence because I have a three-metre easement along the entire back. Subsequently I was going to go for trellises and climbers along the easement, and behind those use the 23.5 x 3 metre strip for things like compost heaps, storing straw bales and other such things as opposed to planting something that could damage whatever pipe is down there.

The purple hop bushes do grow quickly though and they look great when new growth is coming through.

If I just wanted to hedge it and block it out, I'd plant a line of acacia howittii - sticky wattles. They'll grow to 8m high if left to it, but if they're topped and pruned they make an excellent screening plant and they grow quickly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement