Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

post and rail fence

Options
  • 13-04-2009 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi,
    Im looking for some info on fencing off my site, I have approx 220 mts to fence.
    Any ideas of how many posts I need and rails (its going to have 3 rails up)??
    I think its every 12 ft I put a post??

Oh and any suggestions as to where to get the materials.

Cheers in advance.

Carl

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Callow Man

Hi Carl

I did 480ft of post and rail around my site last year. I put the posts 8ft apart, it depends on the lenght of the boards you use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭c.a.r.l

Thanks Callow Man,
    Can I drive the posts in the ground or do I have to dig and cement? Can you remember what kind of money you spent on it.
    Im thinking of doing it myself to save money?
    Carl

I dug holes and set them in cement, this is the best way to make sure they are straight as if you hit stones etc when driving them they will go all over the place.
    I got them from a guy in Portumna in Galway and gave 1200 euro cash for the lot, this is with 3 planks also, the timber was treated but I painted it with black Ronseal fence life when I had the fence up. Have to say it looks well now. Best of luck.

Cheers for that. Any phone numbers as to where I can buy for cash?

Where in the country are you Carl??? If you are near Portumna I can give you the guy's number.

• Advertisement

Kildare. Sure thanks for all the advice to all the respondants..much appriciated.
    Carl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 FarmerBrown

Hi Carl

For 220 meters of 3 rail fencing using 4.8m rails and posts at 2.4m centers you will need 138 rails and 92 posts. I wouldn't recommend cementing in the posts as in most cases the rain runs down the post and lodges at the base between the cement and the post and rots the post a hell of a lot quicker. The key factor in putting up post and rail is to make sure you drive your posts deep enough, I would recommend a 24" as good guide for 3 rail stock fencing, there are far to many post and rail fences leaning over on there side around the country simply because the posts weren't drive deep enough. A tractor and a good modern post driver are the best way of achieving this. Hope this helps.

Advertisement