Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water shortages.

Options
  • 13-04-2009 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭

Please someone explain to me how we can possibly be running out of water?
    The world is 2/3rds of the stuff.
    Ok its too salty to drink but I could make it fresh with a green house if I needed to.
    And the water way in the water of our coasts is perfectly clean no ****e in there at all when you get far enough out.
    So whats the problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Are you talking about Ireland or globally?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

thethedev wrote: »
    The world is 2/3rds of the stuff.
    Ok its too salty to drink but I could make it fresh with a green house if I needed to.
    And the water way in the water of our coasts is perfectly clean no ****e in there at all when you get far enough out.
    So whats the problem?

You're mistaken if you think that Irish water, be it costal or from lakes and rivers, is unpolluted. An EPA report from 2006 (I think) showed that:

-30% of our rivers have unacceptable levels of pollution
    -lakes, on the other hand are pretty good but over 16% have unacceptable levels of pollution
    -coastal & estuarine: good as well but still 10 areas classified as eutrophic
    -the biggest problem is our groundwater. 52% shows signs of bacterial pollution. The main problems are a) septic tanks and b) agricultural waste.

But er..do you want to drink sea water? I think that water you collect in your garden would be classified as grey water so not necessarily of drinkable quality - I could be mistaken. But there's nothing stopping you setting up a water butt in your garden that could be used to water your plants, clean your car etc.

Humans do not only need clean, unpolluted water, we also need it piped into our houses (and we need our dirty water to be cleaned) so it is not just a question of sufficient levels of clean water but also having the proper infrastructure to service the population and clean our dirty water to an acceptable level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Cheeble

What makes you think we are?
    Can you make enough, every day, for the average consumption for drinking, bathing, cooking, laundry? Can you do so every day, whatever the weather?

Cheeble-eers

Advertisement