Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back in the game - some advice please

Options
  • 13-04-2009 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭

Allo,

Haven't played poker in quite a long time because I did my finals in '08 and then went travelling until I got back at the end of February. I thought I was done with poker since I had emptied my account but I have a load of rakeback money that I'd forgotten about and would like to start playing again.

I have many questions. Any replies much appreciated:

1) How are the games these days (50/1 and lower)? They were getting tougher and tougher around the time I stopped playing so I'd imagine things have only worsened since.

2) I used to only play NLHE cash games but would now like to play other variants as well. Besides developing an interest in some other forms, I'd imagine that the standard of play at the more unusual games is probably still fairly dire. Y/N? I'm specifically thinking of playing some PLO8. I also like razz but find it intensely boring unless it's four handed or less.

3) How is iPoker these days? I remember absolutely detesting the software but played there as the games had a rep as being the softest. Is this still the case? Can you still datamine iPoker?

4) With regard to software:

a) I'm sure this has been done to death but do people prefer PT3 or Holdem Manager?

b) Do either of those programs work for other variants like Omaha or do you still have to buy separate programs?

c) Is PokerAce HUD still the standard? I used to use GT+ because I was a cheap bastid but feel like I should spring for something better.

d) Does EyePoker still work for datamining iPoker? Is there anything better out there? I thought it was helpful but very slow and buggy.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

Wrlcome back mate.

1) Prob tougher, but 5/1 hasnt gotten much tougher.
    2) Not sure, prob terrible standard but I dont play them.
    3)Softwre has improved in slightly, games seem soft ish, still can datamine etc...
    A)I prefer HM, it seems to be the consensus that its better.
    b)HM is adding a omaha part in the next few weeks. It will cost extra.
    c)HM has a built in HUD, AFAIK PT3 does too.
    d)Yea, its a newer version for it, still free under old suscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Welcome back! OK here goes....Games are pretty bad...even at 100nl there's 4 regs min per table and tons upon tons of shortstacking bots. Most of the regs aren't very good but they won't shovel money to you like a fish does, so def harder to make shilling.

Other variants are popular alright, and I hear the standard is very poor if you can handle the crazy variance of PlO!

ipoker is still atrocious with technical problems daily. There are a ridic amount of shorties sometimes 6 at one table. Most of the regs are playing LAG these days but they dont know how to play postflop so you'll definitely have the beatings of them by just playing a stronger hand range in position and staying out of the preflop variance war where no one makes large mistakes anymore (imo). It can still be datamined.

Holdem Manager is great and defo the better choice.
    It will be supporting Omaha from next week, currently in Beta
    It comes with a built in HUD with a million stats and is way better than PA HUD was.

eyepoker is still the tool of choice I think, but HM has table selection built in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Well I disagree that games are bad and that most regs play lag least on ipoker. Most of the regs are your standard 18/14 - 20/17 type. There are very few lags even at 400nl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

zuutroy wrote: »
    but HM has table selection built in now.

First I've heard of this - how do you table select with HM? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Sigh. Having an absolute nightmare installing HM. Judging by the forum a lot of other people are also having issues. BAH!

• Advertisement

Give DVDfan a PM.

dK1NG wrote: »
    First I've heard of this - how do you table select with HM? :confused:

Its not released yet, and it will be an add on for purchase.

Its not released yet, and it will be an add on for purchase.

o rly? Its in the version I have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

zuutroy wrote: »
    o rly? Its in the version I have!

What version is that? How do you do it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

The latest beta 26 has Omaha functionality in it, no problems here so far playing on ipoker.

• Advertisement

Theres just a tab up the top called 'table selection'. After that its fairy intuitive.

I stand corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

NeoSlicerZ wrote: »
    The latest beta 26 has Omaha functionality in it, no problems here so far playing on ipoker.
    Does it work for PLO8?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Grafter

Does it work for PLO8?

Yes.

It's a bit flaky with importing PTO O8 hands (or was a couple of betas ago)and I don't think it got all mine, but working grand with new hands.

Advertisement