Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Restaurants with early bird menu??

Options
  • 13-04-2009 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

Hi, am heading out to dinner on tuesday with a group of friends. We want to go somewhere in town, but as some of my friends are out of work I don't want them to have to pay a fortune, so Im looking for somewhere that does an early bird menu that lasts later than 7pm? Any help would be great, thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭be wide of me

Try Hardwood restaurant on Pope's Quay it's one of the best restaurants in town in my opinion and do a fight the recession special all night on tuesday and wednesday. Starter, main course, and scoop of ice cream including a glass of wine and beer for 20 euro! Couldn't do better than that!

www.hardwood.ie

http://www.hardwood.ie/images/RECESSION.jpg for menu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭tommmy1979

cafe de la paix on washington street do a 20 euro deal too... nice setting overlooking the river and you should have no problem getting seating

www.cafedelapaix.ie

T

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Guys
    Cadyboo said 'good' restaurants!

Been to Cafe de la Paix and its awful. Over priced and the food tastes like its made by blind chimps with Parkinsons.

Hardwood is average at best. Small wonder why it was amongst the first to publicise its 'recession' menu.

Star Anise has an earlybird menu between 6.00 and 7.00 pm and the food is sublime. (Was there last Thursday) Les Gourmandises is ordinarily justifiably pricey, but they too have a market menu thats a steal! If either of those don't make you smile with glee, I give up! :)
    If ya don't believe me, check out Tripadvisor!

I know you said you were looking to dine later, but trust me, either of these two places will really cheer up your out of work friends and eating early leaves plenty of time to drink later! :)

Max001 wrote: »
    Star Anise has an earlybird menu between 6.00 and 7.00 pm and the food is sublime.

Max, Our tastes must be polar opposites, I thought Star Anise was rubbish.

T

OP.. cafe paradiso do an early bird too.. might stretch beyond 7pm

tommmy1979 wrote: »
    Max, Our tastes must be polar opposites, I thought Star Anise was rubbish.

T

OP.. cafe paradiso do an early bird too.. might stretch beyond 7pm

lol Tommy, well given that Star Anise is consistently one of the most popular restaurants in Cork and thats backed up by its almost uniformly rave reviews on every restaurant review website, I'd be slow to brag about your tastes if I were you! However, you do make me laugh, so tell us some more about your 'tastes' Tommy :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

lol Tommy, well given that Star Anise is consistently one of the most popular restaurants in Cork and thats backed up by its almost uniformly rave reviews on every restaurant review website, I'd be slow to brag about your tastes if I were you! However, you do make me laugh, so tell us some more about your 'tastes' Tommy :rolleyes:

He's entitled to his opinion regardless as to whether the majority agree with him or not. I have been very disappointed in the past by places that have had "uniformly rave reviews"... you should find better things to roll your eyes at.

Star Anise is a good spot but it is not cheap. Jacques is another option with an early bird, it is a bit expensive and I don't know if it goes beyond 7 though. If you want somewhere for a group that's not expensive, then The Market Lane or Cafe Bar Deli might do the trick.

Illkillya wrote: »
    He's entitled to his opinion regardless as to whether the majority agree with him or not. I have been very disappointed in the past by places that have had "uniformly rave reviews"... you should find better things to roll your eyes at.

Star Anise is a good spot but it is not cheap. Jacques is another option with an early bird, it is a bit expensive and I don't know if it goes beyond 7 though. If you want somewhere for a group that's not expensive, then The Market Lane or Cafe Bar Deli might do the trick.

I should find better things to roll my eyes at should I? If you knew what you were talking about, you'd know Star Anise is doing a two course early bird for E20 odd and Jacques is very inconsistent right now. Market Lane is
    a reasonable suggestion, though their food is only average at times and CBD's I don't know.

Save your coulds, woulds and shoulds for yourself instead of lecturing others.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

"somewhere that does an early bird menu that lasts later than 7pm"
    Lots of good early bird menus available in the city, but surely the point of an Early Bird is just that - it is before normal dining times - otherwise its not an Early Bird.
    On a tight budget you might want to check out Prime - Clancys Reasaurant,
    Stake and chips before 7 for €7 7 days a week.

Jay Dee wrote: »
    "somewhere that does an early bird menu that lasts later than 7pm"
    Lots of good early bird menus available in the city, but surely the point of an Early Bird is just that - it is before normal dining times - otherwise its not an Early Bird.
    On a tight budget you might want to check out Prime - Clancys Reasaurant,
    Stake and chips before 7 for €7 7 days a week.

Really? Lordy, I never thought of Clancys! Is it a minute steak,
    or a proper sized 'man steak'? :pac: Must try that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

I should find better things to roll my eyes at should I? If you knew what you were talking about, you'd know Star Anise is doing a two course early bird for E20 odd and Jacques is very inconsistent right now. Market Lane is
    a reasonable suggestion, though their food is only average at times and CBD's I don't know.

Save your coulds, woulds and shoulds for yourself instead of lecturing others.

Yes and you really should not base your opinions solely on what you read on Tripadvisor either.

• Advertisement

Illkillya wrote: »
    Yes and you really should not base your opinions solely on what you read on Tripadvisor either.

Again with the coulds, woulds and shoulds........told ya before, before lecturing others, take a long hard look at yourself! And you know what they say about making assumptions don't ya? Well, if ya don't I'm not going to educate ya. FYI - I've recently visited all the restaurants I commented on, you silly person :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

Hah Jay Dee are you serious about the Clancy's 'Steak and chips before 7 for €7 7 days a week'

Went there before for that and im not messin, the steak was a tiny shrivelled up thing on the plate and I got 3 leaves of lettuce.

Would NOT recommend it to anyone. It wouldnt fill a fly :D:D:D

Hah Jay Dee are you serious about the Clancy's 'Steak and chips before 7 for €7 7 days a week'

Went there before for that and im not messin, the steak was a tiny shrivelled up thing on the plate and I got 3 leaves of lettuce.

Would NOT recommend it to anyone. It wouldnt fill a fly :D:D:D

Good to know mate, thanks! No room for tiny shrivelled up
    thangs in any aspect of my life! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

Yes not happy at all.

We had to go and get dinner somewhere else an hour or two later.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Max001,

Repect other peoples opinions and leave them be.
    If you want to criticise people youve come to the wrong place.

This ends now or I take out the infraction hammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Redrocket

^^^
    the super 7 at 7 for 7, tiny shriveled steak about 7mm thick with no extra sides/chips etc. you have to order them seperate which puts the bill up around any other restauraunts price, except you get a tiny steak for the money. Service was terrible, I remember asking him whats in the side salad, i think he said "green stuff". I suppose i should have walked out at that point but............

At the same time, I would NOT reccommend zanzibar, been there twice, the first time the food was ok, but the service and the loud dance music were terrible.
    I've never sent back a meal before until I went there a second time a few weeks ago. The steak had a "rotting" taste to it and I sent it back. The service was also crap.
    On both occasions when we went in the place was almost empty, always a good indication that people dont return for a reason.

Amacus... in both douglas and city center are always top notch for very reasonable money, not sure about the times the menu changes tho.

Always interested to hear of good places that charge reasonable so.............................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Hi everyone, thanks very much for all your opinions, was supposed to go last night, but it is changed to tonight. I have actually booked soho, they have an 'early week menu'. Sunday to wednesday, 3 courses for 25e. I think that is good value, so I will let you know how it goes.
    Am also going to try star anise at the weekend, thanks again!

Cadyboo wrote: »
    Am also going to try star anise at the weekend, thanks again!

:eek::eek: Don't mention the war!!:p

By the way, if there's a pate on the menu..watch out, it would be better described on the menu as a terrine or coarse pate which is not everyone's cup of tea.:)

T

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Its for sale. I didn't fancy it either. Thought it was fair at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Redrocket wrote: »

At the same time, I would NOT reccommend zanzibar, been there twice, the first time the food was ok, but the service and the loud dance music were terrible.
    I've never sent back a meal before until I went there a second time a few weeks ago. The steak had a "rotting" taste to it and I sent it back. The service was also crap.
    On both occasions when we went in the place was almost empty, always a good indication that people dont return for a reason.

Only been to Zanzibar once (and I have rather simple tastes when it comes to food) but I was very happy with the food I got there. Their cajun fries are delicious - I'd go back just for another bowl of them.

• Advertisement

Was in Star Anise late last week and had the 'early bird' menu. Main was duck confit, which was so tender it just fell off the bone and slid onto my fork almost all by itself :D Was something like E23 for two courses. With wine and coffee the total for two was about E70, which to me is good value for orgasmic food, great service and very relaxing ambiance.

A very good friend who eats there weekly told me a while back that Star Anise is a place where you can choose anything and its guaranteed to wow. I'm still working my way through the menu, but its a fun fact to put to the test!

Apologies for getting a bit hot and heavy previously, however I hate getting ripped off by lazy, poor restaurants in Cork, when there are some real gems to support instead (and by extension I hate others being ripped off too). I'm a blow-in and am regularly shocked at the prices people are willing to pay here in restaurants that clearly take the piss. Vive la Cork! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Went to soho, for the early menu, and it was fabulous, 3 courses for 25e. There was about five or six choices, for starters and main, and an option of dessert or tea and coffee, with 2 choices of dessert. Staff were very nice, and food was delicious! Would highly recommend it.
    Still havent got to star anise though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

Try Hardwood restaurant on Pope's Quay it's one of the best restaurants in town in my opinion and do a fight the recession special all night on tuesday and wednesday. Starter, main course, and scoop of ice cream including a glass of wine and beer for 20 euro! Couldn't do better than that!

www.hardwood.ie

http://www.hardwood.ie/images/RECESSION.jpg for menu

Thanks for the tip off - thats unreal value . Was lookin for somewhere to take the g/f tomorrow nite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Lorrie123

Has anyone tried the BBQ in Clancy's?

Advertisement