Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRCSET

Options
  • 12-04-2009 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi Everyone, Im jst doing a bit of research about my options in regards postgrad courses. Someone mentioned the IRCSET is a good option asit allows you choose ur own topic of study and provides funding for it. I wasnt able to find much information about it online so I was wondering has anyone gone this route?What did they think of it? And financially does it pay enough to live on? Well modestly living anyway!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 hannahlambda

You'd want to get on your horse - the first call for next year is over, and the second call is sometime in May I think. You need to find a suitable topic and a willing supervisor, and go for it. After paying fees you end up with about e16000 per year I think.

Out of curiosity, what's your area?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭cagefan

well Im studying environmental science at the moment...Im actually going into my 4th year in sept so I have plenty of time...jst want to kinda try formulate a plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

You've a year left so that's alright, but once you get back next year start looking into the research you're interested in, contact potential supervisors etc... To go from an undergrad to a PhD you'll want to be pretty good, kind of like 'top of the class, used to getting 1st's, prize winning student' because if you're not going to get a 1st, it's not going to look likely that IRCSET will fund you and in that case you'd need a MSc of some sort. It's a daunting time applying to them, the application form is totally un-user friendly. If however you're on to a winner of a degree, know what you'd like to research then you'll be grand! Main thing is, unlike normal post grads, applying to IRCSET is done early, so literally once you get back talk with potential supervisors but by January have your topic ready, referees informed and personal statement written and shecked over by your referees and supervisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭cagefan

cheers for the reply!! I dont reckon I'll get the grades for the 1st unless I put in a stormer this year!! Will give it a try tho!! The best option is probably a masters then and after that then maybe look at it again!! Im actually a mature student and funding the last 4 years( with a grant ) has taken its toll so Im kinda looking for a masters thats funded!! I've looked at some research masters and that are funded but not many!! Do you have any advice on that? Thanks for the info by the way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Yeh I'm in the same boat as you there, I'm not a mature student but I am solely dependent on the grant to live!

Funded masters, well it's much the same as the PhD you'll have to acquire funding through IRCSET, Teagasc, EPA etc... Now you could try and look at specified topics i.e. topics that are predetermined but slightly tailored for your interests etc... that's one way of funding a PhD or MSc etc... because how many people are interested in such and such a topic... i.e. it's like a niche market and if there isn't a whole lot of interest then there's an improved chance of getting the funding for the course of research.

I would say, if you're interested in research try your arm at a combined Masters-PhD Application, at the same time apply for a research masters (as well as the PhD in your college), arrange with your supervisor which part of the PhD you want to pursue in the event the funding doesn't come through, which you could do in your Masters, don't worry about the funding for now, the masters is only a year (sometimes 2 but, don't freak out, the second year is more the research, testing etc... the 1st year you can relax and earn some extra cash giving grinds and tutorials, I think it's 2 years if it's a more arts/human sciences course as well because I remember seeing in the University of Edinburgh Research MSc's that were one whole year), choose this option if your serious about research, it looks really good on the PhD application afterwards in that you can tell say IRCSET "In my MSc I examined the use of GIS in producing contaminant discharge maps of current heavy metal deposition in the River Barrow and I feel that this PhD will allow me to further...." Again with the research masters you have an edge over most people applying. Funding is important, but don't let it be the determining factor of what you do because you could get funding for something prescribed and it could be the most God awful subject! Also, look to America and the UK, more opportunities in these places for funding.

• Advertisement
Advertisement