Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ubuntu CD problem.

Options
  • 12-04-2009 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭

I have downloaded the Ubuntu desktop .iso file from the Unbuntu website and also have installed infrarecorder to my laptop. When I try to burn the CD in my CD/DVD drive it won't do it.
    I am using DVD/R media which the driver spits out after 5 seconds.
    Should I be using CD R media instead?
    Do I need to format or convert the Media to NTFS before doing the burn or is this already done in the .iso image.
    I ask because I imagine a burn can only be done once, unlike a magnetic write to magnetic media such as floppies with which I would be more familiar.
    I haven't done anything much in PC and IT since 2001 and am badly out of date.

I tried originally to load the Ubuntu software onto a NTFS formatted flash drive, hoping that I could use the flash drive as a boot disc, but you need to modify the BIOS to allow for booting from USB devices which I would be very reluctant to attempt, having no way to replace BIOS if I screw up.

What I want to have is a quick bootable CD disc to use for access to the machine if my HDD coughs and dies again.
    I also want to get a bit of practical experience in doing this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Tillotson

So burning a dvd:
    Check infrarecorder > view > log to find out why you can't burn the dvd
    The iso file is smaller than 700 MB right?
    If so you should be ok with either a cd or dvd, cd is cheaper though...
    You don't need to convert anything before burning.

CD-R and DVD-R can only be written once.
    CD-RW and DVD-RW can be written multiple times.

The easiest way to create a bootable usb is to burn a cd first and then from within ubuntu go System > Administration > Create a USB startup disk. The advantage of this is that it is far quicker running off an usb rather than a cd.

Modifying BIOS is easy, should be an option to allow booting from usb.
    If you feel like you've made a mistake press ESC and exit without saving changes. The option to allow booting from usb should be clearly marked somewhere.

If your hard disk has failed before get a new one now back up and replace

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

it shouldnt matter dvd/cd
    could it be the disc isnt empty or slightly damaged it spits it out
    i use this free program for burning iso to dvd or cd, its excellent
    try it

http://download.cnet.com/BurnAware%20Free/3000-2646_4-10878661.html?part=dl-6308961&subj=dl&tag=button

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭boomslang

It is most probably a disc error. If it does it to more than one known blank cd it could be the capacity of the disk - you need an 800Mb capacity data disc for Ubuntu. You can also request a cd from the ubuntu website although it does take a while to arrive. Also I suggest burning at a low speed regardless of the drive capabilty.
    Putting it on a usb stick can be done. The Ubuntu documentation covers how to using UNetbootin and is available for windows and linux. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I bought new Maxell CD-R cd's at Argos this morning and it worked fine.
    Ubuntu came up on boot on both my laptop and Desktop, obviously slower on my Jurassic desktop.....got from Intel in 1998, older than my daughter but it still works.
    The DVD RW I was trying mustn't work on my laptop CD.
    I might try DVD R and see what happens.
    Just learning new skills in case I need them in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

where did you get the iso file from

try using the bittorrent iso file

do a md5check sum yoke to make sure it went well

then slow the speed when putting the iso on disk

hope this helps

• Advertisement
Advertisement