Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colleagues disciplinary.

Options
  • 12-04-2009 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭

A colleague has been notified that they will be recieving a disciplinary hearing and has asked me to be thier representative. Could anyone clarify just exactly what this will entail for me? Am I just there to ensure that they are given a fair hearing? Also, is it ethical for me to go along as the representative if I think that the disciplinary is very justified? Thoughts and opinions please.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Your job is to be there as a independent witness in case of a future dispute between the employee and employer of what was said/agreed in the meeting; you are not there to dispute the charges, evidence etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Nody wrote: »
    Your job is to be there as a independent witness in case of a future dispute between the employee and employer of what was said/agreed in the meeting; you are not there to dispute the charges, evidence etc.

Thought as much but just wanted to clarify. Thanks nody.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I would recommending contacting HR and asking for a description/procedure for what you are being asked to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

also make sure someone is taking the minutes of the meeting and that they are signed by all present.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,844 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Also, is it ethical for me to go along as the representative if I think that the disciplinary is very justified? Thoughts and opinions please.

IMHO, Yes. As an employee, it's in your interests to be sure that the process followed is fair and legal (because it's the best guarantee that a similar process will be used in future cases were the discipline is perhaps not so justified). So that's what you're looking out for.

Of course it's mightly annoying when an incompetent muppet gets away with bad work just because a manager can't be bothered doing things properly. So it's actually in your interests to make sure that management get it right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement