Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another way to run Linux, Portable Ubuntu

Options
  • 12-04-2009 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭

I can not believe that I didn't come across this sooner. I suppose it's down to me using Linux as Default OS on most of my own hardware.

I have used most other methods off running linux, from usb sticks to live DVD/CD's.

Portable Ubuntu runs under colinux in windows.

As it's a virtual machine, you can setup it with software and packages u need. As it doesn't require a reboot on the host machine(i.e live USB/DVD), it's more portable.

Thought's?

Regards,
    J.

P.S. Running out of power on my AA1 to finish this post properly!

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Is this not reinventing the wheel? Could you not just take the virtual HD from your own customised VM with you, keep it on an external drive and just set up the Windows VM software to use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭corkie

The difference between this and a full VM is that runs on top of windows, so you can easily switch between different apps from each OS.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

It's a pity you have to go into the command line to install it. Confirms just about every prejudice about Linux that there is. If they're trying to win some new users from Windows, they've got to make it look really easy - like Wubi.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Tillotson

http://www.bbspot.com/News/2008/12/linux-on-a-potato.html

There is something very similar in virtualbox where you can share desktops

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

corkie wrote: »
    The difference between this and a full VM is that runs on top of windows, so you can easily switch between different apps from each OS.
    Cheers for clarifying.

Meh, does seem a little off-putting for new users! CLI?! At least the choice is there.

I'll stick to VMWare Fusion in Unity Mode for a similar experience :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

I use this in work, its fantastic. I made a batch file though, so no CLI. I have it in my startup folder in windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Sorry to digg up an old thread, but is anyone else still using Portable Ubuntu? The source forge link seems to be dead, has it been re-named? etc?

Advertisement