Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pet like a hamster, not nocturnal

Options
  • 11-04-2009 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

im looking for a pet like a hamster that isnt nocturnal, i have the hamster cage & stuff alreay :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

get 2 gerbils
    (they are social animls so beter in pairs of 2 males or 2 females from the same litter)
    they are diferent to hamsters in that they need somewhere dark to hide and sleep in(or else they stress and spend all dey trying to dig a burrow and they dig more but they are actice during the day and are very easy to tame

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

A pair of same sex gerbils might work, although some hamster cages gerbils can chew through only thing is that although gerbils are awake during the day they are also awake during the night on and off as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Progger

how about a pair if degus. They're Diurnal and very social and friendly. You'll need a substantially larger cage than a hamster cage i.e. Chinchilla cage. But they're a fantastic pet to keep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

+twelvty for gerbils. Great pet, easily handled and sociable. You CAN keep them on their own but better in pairs - females are less likely to fight.

Have you considered pet mice? I have been keeping them for years and once handled regularly as babies they are very sociable. I have some 12 week old babies available free for rehoming at the moment (I'm in Galway) if you are interested. The cage would want to be fairly secure though - I usually recommend fish tanks with modified lids for ventilation.

'cptr

Advertisement