Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Plastic

Options
  • 11-04-2009 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I recently bought a bit of farmland next to my site. Went out today to clear what I thought was a pile of of black plastic thrown against the ditch and discovered a layer of plastic buried about 4 inches under the surface. From poking around it looks to be covering about 100 sq.m. Any ideas as to why it was put there and what's the best way of removing it? Would it damage a plough/rotovator? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

More likely used as a weed barrier, but sometimes used to help consolidate newly worked soil on embankments until planting becomes established.

Should be perfectly safe and easy to remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Anduril

It would be the devil's own job digging it out by hand, as it's buried so deep. I was worried it might get entangled in machinery? Someone told me it might be from a silage pit, but the land hasn't been farmed for over 10 years I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Dig a patch up and c what sort of soil is under it.

It seems to be just bare topsoil.

So why bother removing it? If left undisturbed it will eventually breakdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

So why bother removing it? If left undisturbed it will eventually breakdown.

in a 1000 years maybe :rolleyes:

Can't see the wife waiting that long.
    As for leaving it, I want to plant trees there. Wouldn't the plastic prevent moisture getting to the roots?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Why dont you just dig holes through and plant the trees, Look on the bright side sprouts wont take hold so you wont have major pruning

True. I had planned to rotovate the whole area, but that's an easier alternative...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

It seems odd that it would be there. It's not, like, hiding anything is it... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Can you get the soil under it tested?

It does seem a bit odd that is there if its just plain old top soil under it.

It seems odd that it would be there. It's not, like, hiding anything is it... :eek:

Jesus! Maybe I built my house on an old Indian burial ground?
    Or an old cowboy dumping ground....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Anduril wrote: »
    Jesus! Maybe I built my house on an old Indian burial ground?
    Or an old cowboy dumping ground....

Well I was thinking more like industrial/poisonous waste, or maybe dead livestock, but maybe it is the Cowboys and/or Indians! Or, OR, an elephant graveyard. I've heard all about them. Dodgy.

Seriously though, I hope its not anything unwanted.

My neighbour just hired a JCB, which I can sublet for a few hours. Problem solved (I hope). Now, if he can just work around that headstone saying "Dumbo RIP"..
    Seriously, thanks all for the advice.

3 hours of hard work later, and it's all up!
    Anyone know what to do with a mountain of dirty black plastic and mesh?

Man running the JCB is a farmer himself and told me that it was caused by a farmer dumping round bales for his cattle and slitting them so cows could feed. Then a combination of trampling, weeds, cowdung and leftover silage (and a marked reluctance to clean up his sh*t after him!!!:mad:) left me with my dilemma.
    Good to know...

Anduril wrote: »
    3 hours of hard work later, and it's all up!
    Anyone know what to do with a mountain of dirty black plastic and mesh?

Man running the JCB is a farmer himself and told me that it was caused by a farmer dumping round bales for his cattle and slitting them so cows could feed. Then a combination of trampling, weeds, cowdung and leftover silage (and a marked reluctance to clean up his sh*t after him!!!:mad:) left me with my dilemma.
    Good to know...

Yeah dispose of it a responsible manner, ie recycle.

I've been told since that there are collections of the stuff but "only at certain times of the year". Anyone know which times?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

FYI, the farmer who sold you the land would be liable for any costs involved in removal of the plastic if he knew about it and failed to let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Pkiernan wrote: »
    FYI, the farmer who sold you the land would be liable for any costs involved in removal of the plastic if he knew about it and failed to let you know.

i was thinking that, but surely the 1000 euro legal fees would be saved by spending 250 euro dumping it.

How would the op be best to proceed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

i was thinking that, but surely the 1000 euro legal fees would be saved by spending 250 euro dumping it.

How would the op be best to proceed!

No need to run straight to a solicitor, in fact no need to call one at all.

3 options:

1. Politely ask seller of land to pay dumping bill.
    2. Small claims court.
    3. Leave things as they are, and be happy with a hard days work done well.

Personally, I would choose option 3.

• Advertisement
Advertisement