Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London vs New York

Options
  • 11-04-2009 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Ok, when you see views of NYC on TV it looks incredible, way grander than London does on the apprentice. Is there any way we can put London anywhere near it as aplace to live in terms of life or impressiveness?

Cos some say you can....

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Moved to Living Abroad.

Actually living in a city is vastly different. The majority of most cities is far removed from the glamourous skyline shots you see on TV..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Moved to Living Abroad.

Actually living in a city is vastly different. The majority of most cities is far removed from the glamourous skyline shots you see on TV..

Yeah true...but it must be NYC is way grander. Some yanks think London is more beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Affable wrote: »
    Ok, when you see views of NYC on TV it looks incredible, way grander than London does on the apprentice. Is there any way we can put London anywhere near it as aplace to live in terms of life or impressiveness?

Cos some say you can....

Totally disagree, London looks far more impressive than NYC, London is a magnificent city with some great architecture, a wonderful city with great people and a real sense of history. No Competition, London wins hands down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭live2thewire

European Cities :pac: USA Cities.

So London. :)

ah no, i suppose its down to the individual really. tbh for me a 'world' city like Paris or London wouldn't do it for me at all, Dublin or Amsterdam are big enough for me tbh. I like living in rural area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I'm all about the world cities, New York and London especially. I'm going to live in one of those ...though preferably NYC.

But 'grandness-wise' I'd say New York. Wow, I love looking at the skyline/aerial views. Makes me feel really excited :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Ajos

I live in NYC, and I was in London this past weekend. They're both impressive, but I'd have to go with New York - specifically Manhattan, if we're talking about grandeur.

London is too spread out to really get the hang of. Manhattan's limited area has meant that the expansion has all been inward and upward - there's a huge density here. London feels like there's a lot more "filler", if that makes sense. In New York you can walk 10 blocks and see 5 distinct neighbourhoods each with a different vibe. Everybody is pushed together and there's a much more exciting energy about the place, at least to me.

London has more history for sure, if that's what you're into, although New York is not completely devoid of it.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Totally disagree, London looks far more impressive than NYC, London is a magnificent city with some great architecture, a wonderful city with great people and a real sense of history. No Competition, London wins hands down.

Thanks for boosting my ego. I was between archway road and Highgate village, just t'other day, looking down some side street, view was beautiful. Some of the people in posher bits are a little snooty. But some of the ethnic Londoners especially are some of the nicest people ever.

Could do with a little more green spaces though.

Oh lemme jus throw Paris into da mix.

Verdicts on Paris compared to London/NYC?

NYC beats all.Although, the city does drain you out.I see the appeal of the hamptons to people in NYC.

paris i think is more populated than both of them. the population density in paris is insane.

new york is overrated.

• Advertisement

paris i think is more populated than both of them. the population density in paris is insane.

new york is overrated.

I have to disagree with this totally.From chilling in central park to the insanity of Times Square after midnight to the tranquility of the Guggenheim.NY has got it all.

its good, but i wouldnt be mad about it. its hard to explain really. put it like this if i was given the opportunity tommorow paris or new york well it be a tough one. if i was some rich guy then new york(like patrick bateman :P) but im kinda obsessed with paris so if i was who i am now id love to live in paris as a teenager(well berlin would be my fave but idk if its a world city prob not)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

london is grand for a weekend i could never live there ever

i dont think i could live in new york either but id pick it miles ahead of london

the people were not that friendly in either place but at least in america you have options england in general is a ****hole imo

one good thing about london is its close to ireland and therefore cheap to get to if you like the things they do well like the frieze art fair and clubs

the two foreign cities iv seen so far were i know i could live are berlin and boston

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

^^^ Hehe, the only two foreign cities I know I COULD live in are London and New York. Love them both; the buzz, the buildings, everything... :)

Paris is lovely, but really don't think I could live there, or any French city really. And Barcelona, nice, but no way could I live there.

ye but what do u do with the buildings? stare at them? it hardly makes a difference to your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

There's a huge difference between living and working in a city and just vacationing or working there for a short-time. If you have a family it is preferable to not live in a big city in many cases as they are very expensive and hectic. Recently I was in the little known city of Porto in Portugal and having lived in and travelled to many cities in many countries and continents I was impressed with the north of that city, very cheap, good food, great weather, quiet, new and clean metro system, beach in the city where you can surfing, airport.... If you asked me 10 years ago I might say NYC, now I might say Porto!

Advertisement