Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor Car Service

Options
  • 10-04-2009 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

My car was due its first service this week.
    I rang around to two Hyundai dealerships for the price of this 15000km service (basic service - oil & filter change and general checks).

Limerick Hyundai quotes €180 and Cahir Hyundai quotes €120.

I took the Cahir option - also found staff helpful, friendly, informative. They offered me a lift into Cahir town from garage while service was being carried out. They also gave my car a free wash before handing it back.

Limerick City Hyundai = rip off
    Cahir Hyundai = happy customer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Im not sure I agree with you. How do you know for a fact that the Limerick Hyundai Dealership wouldn't have done €60 more worth of labour or mechanical checks? Or indeed afforded you the same curtousy that you already got. Your compairing something that might have happened but didnt. Unless the quotes were for the EXACT same servicing, then your correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭MonsieurD

The Hyundai Manual (came with the car) lists the exact items that are to be carried out for this first service. I asked both dealerships what was included in their respective services (so that it matched the Hyundai manual). They were the same items from both dealerships.
    I'm satisfied that one dealer was charging a lot more for no reason. My decision was easy to make!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

MonsieurD wrote: »
    The Hyundai Manual (came with the car) lists the exact items that are to be carried out for this first service. I asked both dealerships what was included in their respective services (so that it matched the Hyundai manual). They were the same items from both dealerships.
    I'm satisfied that one dealer was charging a lot more for no reason. My decision was easy to make!

The Oil and Oil filter used in your service would have cost around 28 - 34 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

craichoe wrote: »
    The Oil and Oil filter used in your service would have cost around 28 - 34 euros.

And..how is that relevant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Blue_Wolf wrote: »
    And..how is that relevant?

You could have done it yourself for that much and a bit of your time.

The major cost difference was labour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

The major difference is in the checks and adjustments the garage have to do in the first service.
    If you go the DIY route then you better know what you are doing and learn about cars and get all the checks and adjustments done to avoid unpleasant surprises at NCT time.
    With older cars this doesn't matter as much as the NCT will weed out any dangerous conditions and should keep you safe.
    It mightnt keep you mobile though.
    The test is principally a safety and emissions test and doesn't take into account damage to the engine done by neglecting to change the oil and filter if these do not show up in the air pollution test.
    For most people the service in the garage is the best option.
    On new cars worth 10's of thousands it is the only option.

Advertisement