Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I clean my HDTV screen?

Options
  • 10-04-2009 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭

Need to give my Sony HDTV screen it's first clean. Any tips or recommended products? Few marks but nothing major. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

soft damp microfibre cloth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

i use the screen wipes that i use on my pc screen i know a friend who buys the spray in spec savers for cleaning glasses and swears its the best

• Registered Users Posts: 19,864 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Windex or any other glass cleaner such as that sold in Lidl + a microfibre cloth. If it is just dust, I use something simmilar to one of these on all my shiny black surfaces and it is brilliant:

noodlemit.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Dave72

Those chemical glass cleaners will leave a residue that will build up over time (you'll see it as a smear in strong sunlight) so just use clean water on a good quality micro fiber cloth. Preferable to have two cloths, one damp (not wet!) and one dry to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,864 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Dave72 wrote: »
    Those chemical glass cleaners will leave a residue that will build up over time (you'll see it as a smear in strong sunlight) so just use clean water on a good quality micro fiber cloth. Preferable to have two cloths, one damp (not wet!) and one dry to finish.

They won't if you wipe properly after applying. I have been using windex and the like for 30+ years without them ever leaving residues. I currently have to use it regularly on my laptop screen as it is glossy, not matt, and shows every fingerprint and smear. It leaves no residue if properly used.
    At 2 recent Leica Demo Days near here (at diff camera stores) there was a Leica trained repair person doing free "clean & check." As soon as someone handed him a camera, he began cleaning and wiping. If someone handed him a camera with a lens, he cleaned both. On his table were several little bottles, including one with a clear blue liquid in it. That was the liquid he was using on the lenses -- using very little, I might add. "What's in that bottle?" I asked him. He looked at me, smiled, and said: "Windex." I said, "You're kidding." He said, "Nope. It's really Windex."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

Have you have never seen a LCD screen removed of its top layer from improper use of "Windex" or like wise . Ugly.

Hate to say it best screen cleaner I ever used was the Monster stuff.

Yea I know allot of the time its pure gimmick (like the "Ipod" bradded one....) but I have NEVER had streaks or damage to any thing I have put it to.

>Sol

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Madness to use chemicals. LCD screens are a type of plastic with a protective seal, anti-glare etc. Like others said a damp microfibre.

Advertisement