Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how masters are viewed

Options
  • 10-04-2009 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

i have a degree in construction management, however i do not enjoy the industry and therefore thought doing a masters in some other topics would be a good idea.
    i was wondering, would an a masters in an unrelated topic(such as event management) hold the same respect/acclaim as a full 4 year degree??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Yes, I think they do. This may be unfair, but most people think "he must be a bit of an expert in the subject" if he has a masters in it.

In general, you would be expected to be quite comfortable with the topic you are studying for your masters, so it's not like starting from scratch.

For example, I have a degree and masters in computer science. I would have gotten into my computer science masters without having had a computer science degree, but I probably would have struggled.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

In my masters people come from all sorts of backgrounds. I'm doing Development Studies, but I share classes with Conflict Resolution, International Relations and International Organisations. People come from completely unrelated courses; physics, business, media studies, languages etc.

Also, if there is any one you can't do, it might be possibel for you to do a one year conversion course and then a masters; two years is the norm for a masters in a lot of countries anyway so it's not like it's a massive amount of time.

I think you should go for the masters over undergrad. The latter may give you more years of learning but a masters ups the pace a bit. For example, in an undergrad you would usually be told to write an essay and given a title. In a masters, very often you're told to go away and find your own research topic, and not just for your dissertation. So it's the technique really that makes the difference.

Advertisement