Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live Flower Displays

Options
  • 10-04-2009 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

Any suggestions for colourful plants that could be used as centrepieces for tables at a reception?

Trying to keep costs down for my mother's wedding reception and I thought having live plants would be cheaper and more eco-friendly than having cut flowers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Ellechim

Hiya - I was at a wedding a few years ago and the table centrepieces were herbs - parsley/rosemary/thyme/sage/etc, in little terracotta pots - each table had a plant per couple to take home afterwards so they served as wedding favours as well as centrepieces. I thought it was a lovely idea...apparently you're not supposed to buy rosemary for yourself.

It does depend on when the wedding is and what is in season and what you'll be able to get a reasonable quantity of?

Other ideas: depending on your budget: an orchid for each table - you will get small ones (the big ones will be too big to see over) in M&S for about 15euro each.

Also, some gerbera or ranuncula - they are in the shops now and are lovely colours, bright and happy looking.....

best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

The wedding will be in the middle of May. I'll have to see how she feels about orchids as they could be very pretty and delicate looking. But I know she loves herbs.

Do you think some little lavenders would look unusual indoors?

The wedding will be quite colourful and not traditional so anything goes really. And the reception is just a casual affair so we're looking for something to jazz up the tables.

Think I'll have a wander round M&S and look at those orchids for some inspiration!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Ellechim

I think lavender would be fab - and lovely and calming too!

M&S does have lovely stuff - the benefit of their orchids that they come in pretty pots already so you'd just have to cut off the tags and the plastic......

If you're going for lavender or gerbera or something like that from a garden centre you will have to decorate the plastic pot in some way or another which just makes a bit more work......still lovely though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Fletch123 wrote: »
    Any suggestions for colourful plants that could be used as centrepieces for tables at a reception?

Trying to keep costs down for my mother's wedding reception and I thought having live plants would be cheaper and more eco-friendly than having cut flowers?

Would be useful to know the timing, it would be more prudent to use flowers which are in season, and avoid the expense etc of sourcing plants which happen to be out of season.

Advertisement