Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full HD tv for €449 in currys

Options
  • 09-04-2009 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi all,

As the title suggests, Currys have a 32 inch Sharp full HD tv for sale for €449. Seems like a reasonable deal to me. Anyone have any opinions? I am interested in getting a flat screen and would like to avoid buying it online in case of having to return it. Is there any benefit to full HD at this size?

Thanks,

Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

i am gona start to save for a full HDTV....what i hear on smaller screens u cant tell the difference between HD ready and Full 1080p HD....im gona wait a extra few weeks to save more money and get a full HD 38" maby samsung:)....you should wait a few weeks and get a more trusted brand and stuff like me:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

At 32" the difference between 720p and 1080p is noticeable but not very noticeable if you get what i mean.
    At 449 though Its well worth the money, but if you get a tv maybe at 38" or more full hd would be a lot better looking

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

you need to go 37" + to notice any difference between 720p and 1080p, I know as I've a full HD 32" LG since xmas and can't really see any difference even up close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭FredH3as

marko91 wrote: »
    i am gona start to save for a full HDTV....what i hear on smaller screens u cant tell the difference between HD ready and Full 1080p HD....im gona wait a extra few weeks to save more money and get a full HD 38" maby samsung:)....you should wait a few weeks and get a more trusted brand and stuff like me:rolleyes:

Couldn't have put it better myself. Well structured and to the point....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

paulie13 wrote: »
    Hi all,

As the title suggests, Currys have a 32 inch Sharp full HD tv for sale for €449. Seems like a reasonable deal to me. Anyone have any opinions? I am interested in getting a flat screen and would like to avoid buying it online in case of having to return it. Is there any benefit to full HD at this size?

Thanks,

Paul
    you need to go 37" + to notice any difference between 720p and 1080p, I know as I've a full HD 32" LG since xmas and can't really see any difference even up close!

Saw on ad on the telly advertising this too and i could have sworn its an LG 32" 1080p for 450e. Got the impression its one like this. I think they were blabbin on about a high contrast ratio too and seeing as the quoted dynamic contrast for that LG is 500000:1, i reckon its that one. Pretty good deal for a shop, to be fair. Be aware though, that they're only trying to get rid of them because there are a load of new ranges of lcds and plasmas from all the main manufacturers at the moment and they need to make room for them!

I agree that full HD is completely unnecessary for a 32" lcd for normal tv viewing. Could be handy though if you were to use it as a monitor, or use it for gaming, sitting about 3 feet away from it!:)

EDIT: Looks like the same offer is on in the UK, see here. For once we're not being screwed with an exchange rate so no need t head up north for this one!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I thought I saw Harvey Norman doing the ad for the 32" Full HD LG for €429

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Are you guys referring to noticing/not noticing a difference between 720p and 1080p 32" TVs or noticing/not noticing a difference between 720p and 1080p content on a 32" TV? If it's the latter, then I'd have to disagree with those who said that there is no difference or it is hard to notice one, as I can easily notice a difference on my 32" 1080p TV and i'm amazed at those who can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

the Harvey one is the 3000 series 720p, not the 1080p. I was in their store yesterday and they had a sign up saying they had 'made a mistake' in their ad! :rolleyes: They had the Currys tv in there for €599

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Alcatel

catch--22 wrote: »
    the Harvey one is the 3000 series 720p, not the 1080p. I was in their store yesterday and they had a sign up saying they had 'made a mistake' in their ad! :rolleyes: They had the Currys tv in there for €599
    I find the best place to buy TV's now is online - LG 32" 1080p, I would assume 500 inc delivery http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=404461

catch--22 wrote: »

Nice save there mate. Saves me an unnecessary trip there today so! Off to Currys I go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Are you guys referring to noticing/not noticing a difference between 720p and 1080p 32" TVs or noticing/not noticing a difference between 720p and 1080p content on a 32" TV? If it's the latter, then I'd have to disagree with those who said that there is no difference or it is hard to notice one, as I can easily notice a difference on my 32" 1080p TV and i'm amazed at those who can't.

+1

I have a 32" Sharp full HD and you can clearly notice the difference. I had a HD ready before and before I sold it off I put them side by side to check out the difference. Most of my friends who come to my apartment say the same when they compare it with their tv.

I guess people who say there's no difference dont have a 32" full hd themselves and say based on when they read on the net. Not saying they dont have full hd tv's, they may have bigger ones but not 32".

It's a very good price OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Alcatel wrote: »
    I find the best place to buy TV's now is online - LG 32" 1080p, I would assume 500 inc delivery http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=404461

Its always worth asking Richersounds though before placing that online order, they do us boardies some great deals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

i went onto currys website... they have a "1080p HD Ready TV" as far as i know 1080p = full hd not hd ready so what are they on about:confused:

I picked one up today, thanks so much for letting us in on it! Guy in the shop said they were selling HD ready TVs for more than €449, so this deal is a steal. Snap it up before it goes away!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

marko91 wrote: »
    i went onto currys website... they have a "1080p HD Ready TV" as far as i know 1080p = full hd not hd ready so what are they on about:confused:

Doesnt matter if they say HD ready or Full HD.

As long as it is 1080p its full HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Rsaeire wrote: »
    If it's the latter, then I'd have to disagree with those who said that there is no difference or it is hard to notice one, as I can easily notice a difference on my 32" 1080p TV and i'm amazed at those who can't.

You might not notice it so much on SKY+HD, but you certainly will on Blu Ray.
    There are double the amount of pixels making up the picture in 1080p as compared to 720p, and Blu Ray utilises every pixel.

Walk into any Currys and see the difference for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 aqua2027

I got 40 inches 6 series samsung full HD and 100 Hz for 819 Euro from kimplette. The same is available for 999 in irish store

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭micratoyota

To day I spotted the LG32LG 3000 in Tesco for €399. Reduced from €649 It is also on offer for €509 or near in Argos who also say its reduced. Is there some wrong with this model, that its not selling.? would like a quick reply if I am to grab one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Alcatel

sugarman wrote: »
    ...But thats the one in Currys for €449:confused:
    Yeah, true - we were just talking about this LG one that Harvey's is selling. Generally there are some good deals now and then in the shops, but the best day-to-day value is online. They're nearly always cheaper than the retail guys.

Rang Harvey Norman in Cork 32 LG 3000 €429. Hd ready only. Same model in Tesco €399. Wondering about Sound as only 2x7watt audio where most seem to be 2x10watts

• Advertisement

Rang Harvey Norman in Cork 32 LG 3000 €429. Hd ready only. Same model in Tesco €399. Wondering about Sound as only 2x7watt audio where most seem to be 2x10watts

Richersounds were doing that LG for £329.95 recently, although stock was limited. A few boardies purchased it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

There are double the amount of pixels making up the picture in 1080p as compared to 720p, and Blu Ray utilises every pixel.

You may have misunderstood me. I can notice the difference between 720p and 1080p content, be it downloaded TV shows in mkv format or HD-DVD/Blu-ray movies, on my 32" 1080p TV. For those who say they cannot see a difference between 720p and 1080p content on a 1080p 32" TV, then this is what I cannot understand; I can notice it from even 12ft away.

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Richersounds were doing that LG for £329.95 recently, although stock was limited. A few boardies purchased it though.

Any idea how it turned out. (the 32LG3000)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

To day I spotted the LG32LG 3000 in Tesco for €399. Reduced from €649 It is also on offer for €509 or near in Argos who also say its reduced. Is there some wrong with this model, that its not selling.? would like a quick reply if I am to grab one.

No, there aint nothing wrong with that model. For 399, its good enough but to be honest, if i were you, i'd pay a bit extra and get this one. Overalll, the samsung would be the better set and probably worth the extra. Hard to pick between the currys 1080p and the samsung. I think they would both have bad and good points but i reckon for just normal SD viewing the samsung would be better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

How can you notice it on sky+hd? It doesn't do 1080p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,830 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

cork45 wrote: »
    How can you notice it on sky+hd? It doesn't do 1080p
    You will notice a slight improvement even on sky+hd because of its built in rendering engine. But not as much as Blu Ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Its also on sale in Xtravision for €399 with a 2 year warranty.

Any idea how it turned out. (the 32LG3000)

Didn't hear but u could ask over on their forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I bought the tv in curry's there yesterday for €449 and just got hooked up to ntl too. It looks pretty good but the picture is a little bit blurry around the edges. Is this the norm or should the picture be pretty much crystal clear?

Advertisement