Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mega Drive re-released?

Options
  • 09-04-2009 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

This may have been mentioned already but I was in Game today (on Dawson Street, Dublin) and noticed the Mega Drive on sale with 20 games. I don't think that it was produced by Sega, but some other company who probably has manufacturing rights somehow. Anyone else see this?

Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,449 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

There are quite a few clone Megadrive consoles out there. Tec Toy are responsible for a lot of them.

Any idea what it was called?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

No, I can't remember; but I dont' recall that the games were anything special either. I think 18 games were in the package.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

what kinda price was it?

God you're going to all hate me. I don't know what price it is - I didn't look because I had to go catch my bus home. Sorry dudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Saw it today. It's not out yet.

But it's €50 and comes with 15 games built in and it also takes regular megadrive cartridges.

Think it comes with two controllers too.

Has games like Golden Axe, Alien Storm, eSwat, Columns and Sonic & Knuckles on it.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Is this what you're talking about?

http://www.play.com/Gadgets/Gadgets/4-/8922102/Sega-Mega-Drive-Console-With-15-Games/Product.html

Was mentioned a little while ago in the Sega forum. I was going to pick one up if the whole region free thing was true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

Seems great and all just shame about the design if it was designed like a old hong kong megadrive but smaller I will be all over this, megadrive-asian-f.jpg
    And its a shame in todays day and age they couldnt make wireless controllers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭ondafly

o1s1n wrote: »
    Is this what you're talking about?

http://www.play.com/Gadgets/Gadgets/4-/8922102/Sega-Mega-Drive-Console-With-15-Games/Product.html

Was mentioned a little while ago in the Sega forum. I was going to pick one up if the whole region free thing was true.

Thats the exact one - saw it in Game today also. States it will play game from all regions, so thats a plus - but not at 50blips :)

Indeed, that's it exactly - Thanks for finding the link. the games aren't the best for it though. I mean, Sonic & Knuckles?; Alex Kidd? :(

what do you mean sonic and knuckles is the best sonic game there is apart from 1 of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

ondafly wrote: »
    Thats the exact one - saw it in Game today also. States it will play game from all regions, so thats a plus - but not at 50blips :)

50 euro would probably get you the original console plus 15-20 games that you actually want. Not knocking the games that come with the machine but it couldn't of cost that much to make. Mark-up I tells ya.

appleidog wrote: »
    what do you mean sonic and knuckles is the best sonic game there is apart from 1 of course.

Each to their own, I guess. my favourite was Sonic II, but there's already a thread open debating which is the best Sonic game

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055522133

Master of the Universe

Actually as a matter of interest (As brought up in the other thread), does this thing have the Megadrive logo on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yes. Yes it does.

http://www.blazeeurope.com/sega/cartridge-console-with-15-sega-megadrive-games/prod_68.html

I don't think €50 is that bad a price. Considering it's essentially a brand new Megadrive with a warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

50 is a grand price.

Dont see a problem with the price at all. The design is absolutely gash though.

Still might pick one up but the look of it will probably just annoy me in the end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Let's face it, even though we all have Megadrives already, and I have a few, we're going to go and buy another one, can't help it!

If only Nintendo would do the same with the Snes, now that would really rock, almost as much as the Megadrive ..Ahem..

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Let's face it, even though we all have Megadrives already, and I have a few, we're going to go and buy another one, can't help it!

If only Nintendo would do the same with the Snes, now that would really rock, almost as much as the Megadrive ..Ahem..

Ask and ye shall recieve: http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/games/b76e/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭cynos

Looks cool, will buy the nintendo one when it comes out
    Wish they had wireless pads though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

krudler wrote: »

It's not a bad looking machine. Kind of slick and sleek in a way. I prefer my gray FC Twin. I also saw once in a shop in Vancouver a machine that would play 8-bit NES and 16-bit Mega-Drive games, imagine the circuitry in that thing!

The only problem with the clones is that they're usually region-locked to NTSC or at best NTSC-J. Did someone say earlier that this new Mega-Drive clone will play all regions?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, that looks like an exclusively NTSC/J machine, no PAL games allowed, and that's all I got, Boo Hoo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

HMV are selling a "MegaDrive" Handheld, with about 20 games built in, If I read correctly you can either play on a TV or on an inbuilt screen.

It was ludicrously cheap though, like E30 so I fear I must be confused.

Master of the Universe

HMV are selling a "MegaDrive" Handheld, with about 20 games built in, If I read correctly you can either play on a TV or on an inbuilt screen.

It was ludicrously cheap though, like E30 so I fear I must be confused.

Shame you can't plug Megadrive games into it like the Nomad :(

b76e_retro_duo_nes_snes_game_system.jpg

Now that is Sexy, Looks alot better then the Megadrive re release, now only if they did that with the Saturn a small version.

Master of the Universe

Wow! I'm loving the design of that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

o1s1n wrote: »
    Wow! I'm loving the design of that.

It is a beaut, there are a few designs (FC Twin and some other clones) of them out that are nice.

http://kotaku.com/343432/hands+on-with-the-retro-duo-the-nessnes-hybrid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

It's good that this MegaDrive can play all regions . The design is lousy and for the sake of it, I think 50quid's a bit much.

I still got a MegaDriveII kicking around. Don't know how much longer it'll still be kicking though...

Hopefully the game shops will do trade-ins on these (so we can buy them cheaper :p)

Has anyone bought one?

Nah i haven't bought one though i did see one in GAME, but to be honest a genesis 3 would be better, it's smaller, cheaper and can be modded for 50/60hz,language switch and to S-video

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

i'll probably pick one up for 50, it's new, has a warranty and plays my old games cartridges.

Advertisement