Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easter Bank Holidays

Options
  • 09-04-2009 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭

I don't know whether to as this in after hours or not. Maybe here is more appropriate. Anyways.... for those that don't believe in God/Jesus, will you be working on Friday & Monday? These are holidays due to our countries religious beliefs or am I way off the mark?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm not working. And of course Good Friday is a Christian holiday - if an inaptly named one.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm working easter monday and being paid double. Thanks religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

I always thought the bank holiday monday was to celebrate the easter rising (the political one rather than the religious one ;) ).

I'll be celebrating good friday with the assistance of a rent-a-keg :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

If you want to go down that road then St. Patrick's Day, Christmas day and St. Stephen's Day are all religious holidays too. Should we work them as well? Ireland is a mostly christian country, as are most countries in the EU. For that reason we are closed for business on those days.

And just on a point of information - Good Friday is not a public holiday in Ireland - it's a bank holiday only - despite most companies closing for it. Monday is a public holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I always thought the bank holiday monday was to celebrate the easter rising (the political one rather than the religious one ;) ).

I must say, then, that its dashed sporting of the jolly old Brits to celebrate it along with us.

BTW, I as a Christian have no problem celebrating Good Friday even though the day (like every Friday) is dedicated to the pagan goddess Freyja. So I don't think atheists should have any problem with taking the day off. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

I just got an autoreply back from a guy which said that today was a statutory Holiday in his jurisdiction. :mad: In Ireland of all places should I not have today off?

I had to take today out of my holidays to have the day off.

I was talking to a colleague in England yesterday who asked why as a Catholic country we don't get today off. I explained that as the pubs and butchers are closed what would be the point of having a day off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Because the weather is lovely - what better day to fire up the bbq and have some burgers, steak, chicken wings and beer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Just remember while bbqing to make an offering to Freyja. As PDN points out It's Her day too...
    Gods love bbq because the smell of burning meat smells nice to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Our MD didn't go for the religious angle we tried to spin (God won't be happy with us working etc) in an attempt to finish early - however when we showed him Pamela's 111frightening thread he acceded to 3 o' clock...you know, just in case. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭velocirafter

It's just a cultural thing that we get it off, if I was living in UAE I would be taking Ramadan off. I have no problem with the role religion has played in shaping culture historically, they robbed most of the holidays off whatever religion they were converting anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

We don't celebrate it at all but our respective companies follow the trend and shutdown both days, so we get two free days off. I don't mind that much, except that work tends to pile up causing a terrible Tuesday :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

evil_seed wrote: »
    I don't know whether to as this in after hours or not. Maybe here is more appropriate. Anyways.... for those that don't believe in God/Jesus, will you be working on Friday & Monday? These are holidays due to our countries religious beliefs or am I way off the mark?

Whatever we do or don't worship, I think its important to not worship work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

I'm self-employed, an atheist and working today. And by golly I will be having a drink later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Galvasean wrote: »
    I'm working easter monday and being paid double. Thanks religion.

+1 :D

Now where did i leave all that good Friday meat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

I'll be celebrating good friday with the assistance of a rent-a-keg :D

This holiday was brought to you in association with "Rent-a-Keg" #1 for all your drunken needs!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Waitaminute.... my fridge broke down this morning, that means my Good friday meat went funny and my beer is now warm...

Mysterious ways...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

evil_seed wrote: »

A holiday is a holiday , just like easter eggs are chocolate! so no
    need the time off work for study anyway >(

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm a final year student, I spent several hours working on my project and I will do likewise all through the weekend. The only difference Easter makes is that my Sunday long run might have to be a couple of miles longer to make up for the chocolate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Good Friday isn't a national holiday, I was working today (er, yesterday)

Our boss told us that if anyone wanted to take the day off for religious reasons he was happy for that but it would be coming out of our annual leave.

I am not going in on Monday because it is a national holiday and the office will be closed.

I am not celebrating Easter beyond having an Easter egg (or 20). I celebrate Christmas because of the cultural significance but Easter has always seemed more religiousy than Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭blogga

I have had a wonderful good friday. Two extra strong cosmopolitans to wash down a huge tea, yes tea not dinner, of rashers and sausages. Hehe. What a mixture. I think some sex with condom later. I'll dedicate it to the mad german aka benedict the nth.

Advertisement