Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK PGDE recognized in Ireland?

Options
  • 09-04-2009 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering if the UK PGDE is recognized in Ireland?
    I'm thinking of studying in England, because I have heard that once you have the PGDE there you can teach any subject, not just your degree subjects, in English post-primary schools. (I'm not sure if I'm right on this though)

I wouldn't mind working in the UK, and would love it if I could teach English (not my degree subject), however I don't want to rule out the possibility of returning to work in Ireland.

Any comments/answers would be great!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭marblesolutions

I did my PGCE in England but it is subject specific. Also teaching tends to be even more geared towards your major subject over there. For example I am qualified to teach Chemistry and Biology in England I was parred with another teacher for junior science GCSE as I would not be deemed qualified to teach physics. No such problems in Ireland.
    If you wish to come back and teach in Ireland you will need to do an exam on the History and Structure of the Irish education system and get your qualifications recoqnised. I advise you to statr the process long before you come back and it can be a long and frustrating experience.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭hot chick

Even if you qualify to teach something in the UK you won't be allowed teach it in Ireland unless you have enough of it in your degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Larkenn

I cant imagine you being able to teach a subject that you dont have a degree in. I believe the PGDE is subject orientated also.

Advertisement