Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passat Timing Belt

Options
  • 09-04-2009 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

I have a 06 Passat 1.9TDI which is soon due a timing belt. Connollys VW in Sligo have a special at the moment of 399 euro for timing belt change. Does anyone have any experience of this garage or has anyone got this deal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

€399 for a t/belt change on a Passat TDI from a main dealer sounds like pretty good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Still on the dear side if you ask me. If your living in Sligo give a garage a call up the north. I'm sure you'll get a cheaper quote and it will be worth the trip. The kit for a 06 passat tdi is around 150 to buy over the counter. BTW what milage are you having it done at?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

That's excellant value from a main dealer - you'd pay similiar for a good independant to do the job.

Apart from buying parts, I've no first hand experience with them yet; I've my car booked into their bodyshop later this month - from what I hear, they're the best in the locality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

I have a 06 Passat 1.9TDI which is soon due a timing belt. Connollys VW in Sligo have a special at the moment of 399 euro for timing belt change. Does anyone have any experience of this garage or has anyone got this deal.

That's an excellent price but I would also get the water pump and tensioners / pulleys changed also. Does that price include this? If so I would go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

bbability wrote: »
    Still on the dear side if you ask me. If your living in Sligo give a garage a call up the north. I'm sure you'll get a cheaper quote and it will be worth the trip. The kit for a 06 passat tdi is around 150 to buy over the counter. BTW what milage are you having it done at?

In reality, how much cheaper will it be?

If the kit is £150, you can stick another two/three hours labour on top of that, say @ £50 an hour? (Which is on the low side, i know)

So thats a Total of £300, which / by say .89 (just a rough indication) is €337. Throw in another €20 euro for diesel, €15 for lunch and your up to €372.

Worth it for €27? Dont think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

Thanks for all the replies. It doesn't include the water pump as they said that it didn't need replacing on the first timing belt change. I don't know if they replace the pulleys and tensioners would these be standard on a timing belt change. They said this price is only available to cars that are outside of warranty. Can anyone tell me why this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

Thanks for all the replies. It doesn't include the water pump as they said that it didn't need replacing on the first timing belt change. I don't know if they replace the pulleys and tensioners would these be standard on a timing belt change. They said this price is only available to cars that are outside of warranty. Can anyone tell me why this is.

Well I would insist on the water pump and tensioners to be replaced also. While they have the belt off whay not do the pump also? I would imagine that they will replace tensioners also as it all comes as part of a timing belt kit.If a tenssoner breaks or comes loose there goes your belt and plenty of euros from there on....

See how much they charge to do everything and if it's too expensive I would cross the border. After all you're not very far from Enniskillen and there's a main VW dealer there. I got a price to do the belt water pump tensioners etc on my Golf GTI in main dealer in Newry for £350. Dealer here in Navan was looking for €579!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭dodzy

I'd imaging thats because if it's "in warranty", you would not be getting it done unless it snapped, in which case, repair would be free ?

The water pump cost is minimal. While he's in the vicinity, get it done. No harm:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Considering a certain dealer in Cork City was looking for €1150 for this job only a year or so ago, thats great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Definitely get them to replace the water pump while they have everything else out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭dodzy

whiterebel wrote: »
    Considering a certain dealer in Cork City was looking for €1150 for this job only a year or so ago, thats great value.
    :eek: WTF !!! Surely that price included an all expenses paid weekend away with Kim Kardashian ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,690 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I got my 06 Passat fully serviced + brake fluid changed + water pump + timing belt for £630 stg (just under €700) in Donnellys VW in Enniskillen. Was very impressed with the price and staff/service too.

Cheapest I could get down here was €800 from Kierans VW in Drogheda. Brady's Castleknock wanted €1080 for the same job!

Go north OP.

EDIT: Oh and definitely get the water pump done. The garage I bought my old car from didn't do it when I got the belt done and there were problems afterwards. Most dealers seem to do it automatically as part of the job anyway, but I'd insist.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭brownswiss

micksgarage.ie are supplying a water pump @ €76.77 and Timing belt kit @ €130.80 + delivery.

This is what I was just quoted for september 2005 Passat SE 105TDI.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭daithihalton

vw do an exchange on your old water pump 49 euros good value for a genuine item

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭brownswiss

vw do an exchange on your old water pump 49 euros good value for a genuine item

THANKS!! I'm amazed. Do you mean that VW will supply me with a water pump for €49

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭daithihalton

yes they do a few exchange items, just bring in your old pump and they will exchange it for a new pump :):)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement