Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wardenclyffe Tower

Options
  • 09-04-2009 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

I need to know is the physics behind this sound?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wardenclyffe_Tower

This guy was a genius yet his greatest work i.e the tower was never properly tested. It would be a truly amazing construction if it worked as Tesla postulated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Check your link - you're missing the last "r"

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Professor_Fink

This guy was a genius yet his greatest work i.e the tower was never properly tested. It would be a truly amazing construction if it worked as Tesla postulated.

You could easily work out whether it would work or not by sitting down with the schematics and working through them. Wikipedia doesn't seem detailed enough to judge from though.

Wireless transmission of energy is not only possible, but actually quite simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭mickeydevine

You could easily work out whether it would work or not by sitting down with the schematics and working through them. Wikipedia doesn't seem detailed enough to judge from though.

Wireless transmission of energy is not only possible, but actually quite simple.

I've been looking online for a blueprint or even a basic design but have come up short. Can you think of a good reason why such a thing has never been attempted since the 1900's. I know that the HARRP system works on similar thinking but surely a free energy system, designed over a hundred years ago, should have been operational by now.

Am sure there's plenty of qualified people in Ireland unemployed due to the recession who could actually build this thing, amybe even better than Tesla could with advances in materials today.

Does anyone have an idea of the raw materials required to build it? Am not very savvy with technical stuff:confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Professor_Fink

I've been looking online for a blueprint or even a basic design but have come up short. Can you think of a good reason why such a thing has never been attempted since the 1900's. I know that the HARRP system works on similar thinking but surely a free energy system, designed over a hundred years ago, should have been operational by now.

Am sure there's plenty of qualified people in Ireland unemployed due to the recession who could actually build this thing, amybe even better than Tesla could with advances in materials today.

Does anyone have an idea of the raw materials required to build it? Am not very savvy with technical stuff:confused:.

Well, it's not really free energy, even if the device were to work, since you would be extracting it from the ionosphere. It's rather trivial to extract energy from radio waves but the amount of energy acquired is minute.

Well, it's not really free energy, even if the device were to work, since you would be extracting it from the ionosphere. It's rather trivial to extract energy from radio waves but the amount of energy acquired is minute.

Hmmm.....food for thought. Been reading up on him for awhile now, jes but he was ahead of his time. For sheer originality I'd have to put him on a par with Einstein, I'm sure some may disagree.

I guess the only way to know is to build one. Leave it with me.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Heggy

Tesla didn't do many schematics, he did a lot of work straight from his head. most of the stuff he did write down was lost in a fire, which sent him spiralling into depression.

This guy made a schematic of the tower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyB2z-k5ZWg&feature=related

I cant really understand but he seems like he knows what he's talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

There are three different types of wireless electricity transmission. I had to do a 15 minute presentation on the matter in one of my physics modules a few weeks ago. There is;

1) Inductive coupling

This basically uses the simple theory of electromagnetic induction, where a changing magnetic flux induces an emf in one coil, and if there is a secondary coil close by it also induces an emf in that coil. This is very short range, only a few cms, so the receiver and the base usually have to be in contact, which kinda defeats the purpose of wireless electricity.

2) Coupled resonance

This is medium range wireless transmission, and basically uses the same theory of electromagnetic induction, only now the receiver and transmitter and resonating with each other, so that there is a much more efficient energy transfer, and there is also a much larger range. A group of MIT researchers were able to light a 60W bulb at 40% efficiency from a distance of 2m with absolutely no wires using this theory. It's pretty awesome, because if it can be implemented well into current technology, it'll not only rid the need for wires, but also the need for batteries in some devices. (eg, a cordless phone, or a tv remote, things you don't need to bring with you outside the house)

3) Electromagnetic wave power transfer

This is very long range transfer, at the moment we have been able to transfer electricity a few kms using this idea, and it's possible to send power to and from space using it. Basically it converts d.c current into microwaves, transfers the microwaves from the base to the receiver, and converts the microwaves back into a.c current by modulating the frequency. It's pretty amazing, because in Canada they were able to power a plane completely from energy beamed to it from the ground, and it stayed at a height of 21 km above the ground, and circled a radius of a few km, and didn't have to land for months at a time.

If you want to know more about it I can send you my powerpoint presentation, just hit me up with a p.m if you want it.

Well I bought a schematic on line if anyone fancies a look at it. I wouldn't have the faintest what its about but I dont have to if I only want to build it. PM me and I can sort you a copy. Cheers.

Advertisement