Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far would you go?

Options
  • 09-04-2009 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭

For all you regular travellers to the continent, how far would you normally go on a 2 week motorhome holiday.

Do most people stay around the north and west of France or is it possible / practical to travel further and have a nice relaxing holiday?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭irishrver

what age group is going ? and what do you want from the trip ? when the kids were younger we went to 1 site usaly bout 5 to 8 hours drive from the ferry in every direction and just chilled as they got older we spent less time in each place but got futher it is dictated by majorty vote this year back to a place near nice for the hoilidays but it is one heck of a drive from roscoff

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭boyoh

Hello Repolho,
    It really depends on if you have one or two drivers.Over the last number of years we have gone to every Northern and Western Europen country along with some in the East and parts of North Africa. Now i will say that the longer trips were for three weeks and the North African trip was longer again.but many of the trips were for two weeks.Our usual method is to travel fast with two or three stops on route,stay for the bulk of the trip at our chosen destination and then do the same on the way back (using a different route) with a couple of days rest in Northern France.We usually go through Dover or some other English port to Calais (which is a very good jumping off point for most of Europe) If you are not experienced there is a wide choice within 4 to 6 hours from Calais. On a scale map, work out how far you can go in that time,use a piece of thread and a pin and make an arc from your landing point,you will be pleased with the result i think,but then what do i know. Happy Camping:D:):D

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

We're 2 adults (early 30's) and no kids. This is our first camper and we will be sharing the driving.

We are not taking possession of it until the end of June or early July so the plan at the moment is to take a few weekends in July / August around Ireland to get used to the van and the lifestyle! Then hopefully, we will hit the continent in September. To be honest, I think we will probably stay in France for our first time over there. I know France is a big country with plenty to see and do but eventually we would like to travel further. I've always maintained that the world in too big to go the same places twice!

I would love to go to Slovenia sometime in the van. Has anyone ever gone there in their camper?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭boyoh

Hello again,
    Two people in your age group can go anywhere. I agree,the world is a big place and your choices are,well they are goverened by the fact you live on a rock in the north atlantic and the amount time you have to spare. Our first trip was to France in the long dusty past and i think it's a good choice for your first trip (camper van) abroad. From reading Boards i get the impression that a lot of people use the Rosslare route,and this is very good for France and Spain (maybe) but for all other destinations Dover Calais or other English ports are better,cheaper and quicker.Eg Dublin to France via Rosslare 26 hours approx, Dublin to France via Dover 12 hours approx,also if you book your ferries separately it works out cheaper on most fares,but you will find these things out for yourself as you gain more experience,but what do i know! We have driven through England on and off for so long without really seeing it that this year we are going to do the grand tour.Good luck with your plans and happy camping.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 oirishman

Down along the west coast towards Bordeaux is enough.one week down and one week back. no rush..do the small towns stay off the autoroute and use the green national route.stay in the Aires.very safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

oirishman wrote: »
    Down along the west coast towards Bordeaux is enough.one week down and one week back. no rush..do the small towns stay off the autoroute and use the green national route.stay in the Aires.very safe.

That sounds about right. I did something similar a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I never found going far that much of a problem. Still wound up from work, in a rythm of getting up early and working for 8-10 hours, long drives out didn't bother me that much.

But then holiday mode kicks in, you relax, take it easy, chill out ...and in the end you have to spoil it all by coming back the same, brutal, long distance in endless hours behind the wheel.

Unless I have a really long holiday (more than two weeks) where I can break up the return leg into smaller, manageable chunks, I don't like venturing that far any more.

Advertisement