Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rate of pay in the UK

Options
  • 09-04-2009 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone can help me out here. I know where to get the pay scale re the UK but I was just wondering where I would start on the scale after my PGCE. I know in Ireland that they take into account your past degree and as such you start higher up on the scale and that they also recognise how well you do in your dip and you get an increment for that too. Would I start at the bottom rung after my PGCE if I work in England after?I have experience TEFL (CELTA qualification) here and in Spain for the last 2 years straight. Would this be taken into account? I know that overall Ireland pays better than the UK but any feedback here would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

I'm also interested in this too. In Ireland you get paid an extra amount of money for the PGDE, and an extra amount for any other postgrad which you may have.

I have a PhD (bad investment) and with my PGDE I should begin my first year teaching in Ireland on €40,363.

Basic Scale: €32,599 +
    PGDE, 1st & 2nd Class Honours: €1301+
    PhD: €6463
    Total: €40,363
    Source: http://www.asti.ie/faq/salary.htm

I cannot see any similar reward in Britain for having a PhD; the payment seems to be about €24,000 for teachers starting out. Is there any similar payment for teachers with a PhD?

Advertisement