If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a new living room setup

Options
  • 09-04-2009 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

John, Ash,

I'm looking to move into HD from my current SD setup. At the moment I've a 32 inch standard-def samsung hooked up to a number of consoles, a DVD recorder and a cable TV box. I'm using RGB-SCART to connect things where I can, via a 4-to-1 switcher.

My wife watches far more telly than I do so scaling of standard definition content is pretty important - ideally it should be on a par with a native SD telly if possible! We both like to watch a film or two at weekends.

I'm not interested in 5.1 sound but would love a decent 2.1 system, especially if it had multiple inputs for the consoles. But that doesn't seem to be particularly common, unless you buy an a/v receiver and a dedicated 2.1 speaker combo (which I'd be open to - more so if they were compact).

The room is a bright, L-shaped one. We're limited in where we can place the telly - it has to go in the corner of the L (if that makes sense) room. The current telly is difficult to see on bright evenings so ideally the new one will be much brighter! I hear great things about plasmas but as far as I can tell LCDs have a brightness advantage that might count here.

And finally (but not essential) good DLNA functionality would be great. I have a popcorn hour to stream media to the telly (which works really well) but if I could eliminate one of the boxes under the TV that would be a bonus.

I'd be willing to spend between 1,000 to 2,500 euro for a telly and 2.1 sound system (if the telly's sound isn't that great) but I'd want to know I was getting good value for money towards that top end!

Any suggestions?!

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

blue,

apologies for the delay in gettin back - what size screen - 32" again??

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 bluerhino76

I'd like to move to 37 or 42, don't think the room is big enough for a 50 though. Thought I'd mentioned that, sorry!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.