Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road schemes in Louth/Meath/Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Actually I find these realignments more interesting that sparkly new motorways for some reason. It's probably because most of our neighbours, especially the UK did everything the other way around...they built 'minor' bypasses and realignments and then turned to motorway building. These minor routes will always form the vast bulk of the mileage that makes up the network so realignments of this nature probably affect more people day to day than the MIUs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The N59 scheme is a dire bendy stretch 3 miles east of Clifden along a lakeshore

It is basically one big rock north of a lake so they will go through it . There is a similar problem just west of the Lough Inagh turnoff .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Some interesting info in the NRA "Work in Progress" doc.

Just for history, here's some stats so we know where we're at:

National Primary
    Total: 78
    Finish by end 2010: 23
    At or near shovel ready: 15 *
    At our new slower rate of construction (4/year), these probably won't be done until 2016. That still leaves 40 projects, and I notice some stuff (eg Dunkettle upgrade, widen M7 Naas-Newbridge) are missing. It will take up to 2030 to clear the backlog.

National Secondary
    Total: 25
    Finish by end 2011: 4
    At or near shovel ready: 0
    So, very little progress here then.

* M20 isn't marked as shovel ready, but it's being fast-tracked, so I included it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

Thanks for info lads. Agree regarding the minor bypasses. With funds being tight, there is certainly room for cost effective improvements that will be of benefit in tandem with the larger (badly needed) schemes. WOuld like to know what's "pilot" regarding the N59, I presume its related to the method used to go through the rock.

Advertisement