Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Determination in the dispute between Colt Telecom Ireland and Eircom

Options
  • 09-04-2009 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg0930.pdf

Well at least they made a decision....even if it took 18 months to make a simple decision.
    A lot of paper clips have gone under the bridge in the meantime.

As a document it's an utter disgrace, full of spelling errors and supposedly "confidential" information.

Is there a point to this agency at all?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Page 7 is fascinating and most insightful .

The fact is that there is an eircom Metro ethernet product

There has been one for a number of years

There is no wholesale version of it .

The overall issue is clouded somewhat by the fact that

1. eircom has market power in sub 2mbit leased lines
    2. eircom does not have market power in over 2mbit leased lines

( 2 decisions from the mid decade , I agree with them)

Arguably there should therefore be a wholesale metro ethernet sub 2mbit wholesale product but Comreg did not bother their arses following their own decisions .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Folks,

We cant change the past.

This is a good decision, even for eircom, who can drive new revenues and encourage their own retail arm to "up their game"

I think it's best to welcome it. Regardless of the flaws this is good and at least we now have a starting point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

there still appears to be a lot of uncertainty about the bonded version from my reading of the thing .

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭IrelandOffline_

Is there a point to this agency at all?

Here's a solution:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=216403528&cid=RSSfeed_TechWeb

Maybe they won't come back?

crawler wrote: »
    Folks,

This is a good decision, even for eircom, who can drive new revenues and encourage their own retail arm to "up their game"

Yes that part can be inferred from my reading of the document.

Well apart from the outcome I've really no idea what the document was all about because most of the useful points are blanked out...

If it's a decision notice then both sides of the argument should be presented equally, yes I know that's not Comregs fault. It just seems that if it's a public document and half of it is gone...are we at war with somebody?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

2. eircom does not have market power in over 2mbit leased lines
    I wouldn't agree with this as the next bandwidth up is a 34Mb which eircom have SMP on.

To deliver anything between 2Mb and 34Mb (which is usually for a data product) the OAO will have to buy multiple 2Mb leased lines which is a huge cost. If eircom Wholesale have to offer say 10Mb Ethernet then they will no longer be able to fleece the OAO. This was the primary concern in that eircom Retail could offer end customers 10Mb Ethernet but for the OAO to compete it would have to buy 5x2Mb leased lines from eircom Wholesale. This is not good news for eircom as selling wholesale Ethernet will just eat into their over-charged 2Mb leased line revenue.

thegills

thegills wrote: »
    . This is not good news for eircom as selling wholesale Ethernet will just eat into their over-charged 2Mb leased line revenue.

thegills

I detest ordering leased lines...makes my blood boil with frustration...

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I detest ordering leased lines...makes my blood boil with frustration...
    That gets me thinking... are there many situations left where there's no alternative to an eircom leased line?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

oscarBravo wrote: »
    That gets me thinking... are there many situations left where there's no alternative to an eircom leased line?

Yes - most to be honest.

Advertisement