Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into RTE

Options
  • 09-04-2009 8:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I remember in the past reading/hearing about day RTE hold each year for presenters/reporters/journalists etc who work for other companies (such as national or local radio stations) to try out and be interviewed for jobs in RTE.

Can anyone tell me anymore about this?

Will one be taking place this year? How does one apply to take part?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I've never heard of such a day but that's not to say it doesn't exist.

I'd imagine it won't be happening this year, however, as I don't think they'll be looking to hire externally for the time being if they can avoid it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Alcatel

Fill in the rest of this expression using these three words: What, Who, Know, Not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Yep. We had a guest speaker in college a couple of weeks ago who works in RTE and she said basically that there are NO jobs there right now. At all. And the only possible way to get your foot in the door is if you have connections, and even then there's zero guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jimmyneo1

I only know two people who have got taken on by RTE but that was a few years ago when things were good and was usually after using some connections and hassling the fu*k out of them.

I've never heard of any trial days but I guess you could send them some CVs or showreel etc. But I wouldn't hold your breath.

To the OP I don't know if you're adverse to getting into print media but if you're looking for a journalism job I'd say your best bet at all would be a local paper.
    I know for a fact some of the other big places such as Reuters do have jobs in Dublin at the moment, but as the above poster stated, for the forseeable future most are only hiring from within.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I don't know of a trial day but I think there was an intern-style day and a production day - the production day would have had people from different places who knew each other, my mate went once iirc. She didn't get it but ended up there years afterwards. Don't think they ever did one for journalists though, more things like vision mixing etc. For what it's worth I worked in RTE part-time for a few years, didn't know anybody before I got in there and didn't have any pull with a third party either. A lot of people seem to love working there, I didn't, found the majority of staff rude and self-absorbed

• Advertisement
Advertisement