If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Theater advice.

Options
  • 08-04-2009 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭

Hey john, I was looking for some recommendations and told to come to you.

I'm getting my living room re-done soon and I'm looking for some speakers and a new TV, right now I'm using an old Sony rear-projection one.

For speakers, I need something that's compatable with a Home Theater PC. I'm not sure whether you can get some sort of adaptor to connect a soundcard to standard speakers. I'd like to have ones that I can have the cables hidden (might get a guy in to drill holes in the wall for them). It needs to be 5.1 too btw. I'm not sure what my current price range is, what kind of price categories are there? Oh and HTiB isn't happening as I've heard it's dire. Anyway can you give me some recommendations?

For a TV, well I found a good list on Cnet that was written not long ago. I'm not sure which of the following you have but do you have any of the following?:

Panasonic TC-P46G10
    Panasonic TC-P46S1
    Samsung LN46A550
    Samsung LN46A750
    Sony KDL-46Z4100
    Sony KDL-46W4100

The ones at the top are preferred by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

C14N wrote: »
    Hey john, I was looking for some recommendations and told to come to you.

I'm getting my living room re-done soon and I'm looking for some speakers and a new TV, right now I'm using an old Sony rear-projection one.

For speakers, I need something that's compatable with a Home Theater PC. I'm not sure whether you can get some sort of adaptor to connect a soundcard to standard speakers. I'd like to have ones that I can have the cables hidden (might get a guy in to drill holes in the wall for them). It needs to be 5.1 too btw. I'm not sure what my current price range is, what kind of price categories are there? Oh and HTiB isn't happening as I've heard it's dire. Anyway can you give me some recommendations?

For a TV, well I found a good list on Cnet that was written not long ago. I'm not sure which of the following you have but do you have any of the following?:

Panasonic TC-P46G10
    Panasonic TC-P46S1
    Samsung LN46A550
    Samsung LN46A750
    Sony KDL-46Z4100
    Sony KDL-46W4100

The ones at the top are preferred by the way.

What soundcard do you have at the moment? Its not a problem getting a souncard with speaker outlets - but they are usually for active speakers. If your souncard has good hd outlets you might be better running it to an amp of some sort and running your speakers from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

kingaaa wrote: »
    What soundcard do you have at the moment? Its not a problem getting a souncard with speaker outlets - but they are usually for active speakers. If your souncard has good hd outlets you might be better running it to an amp of some sort and running your speakers from that.

I haven't got it yet. If you know any soundcard that I can connect to standard surround speakers then I'd appreciate it. When you say amp do you mean something like an AV Reciever? Like one of these?

Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

@C14N,

You have a similar thread on the HE Forums looking for much the same advice so I'm closing this. If you want to ask Richersounds for a quote or to find out if the stock a particular item please open a new topic here. If necessary, feel free to contact me by PM about the closure of this thread. Good luck with your excursion into the world of home cinema !

Ritz.

This discussion has been closed.