Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career Advice to recent Gradutes

Options
  • 08-04-2009 5:37pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

So this forum was created to aid recent graduates. Given the state of the economy, this forum and any advice shared in it might be needed more now than ever. So, I am starting this thread (and linking to it in my sig to promote discussion from people outside this forum, hint hint) for people who've recently graduated in a specific area or have reached top level management, or who have started their own business, and any key tips or advice they can offer.

My own advice/experience:
    I only graduated in June 08. I got a job doing mostly Adminstrative work with some Marketing. It wasnt what I had hoped for as my first "Graduate" job. It was very busy and stressful and myself and three others were basically taken on as relief summer staff. Anyway, I worked my butt off despite not loving the job and as it happened it all paid off. A permanent position, which serves as a promotion became available and I am working there now. I've learned A LOT and I really enjoy my job.

So my advice is that sometimes it's worthwhile taking a position you might not 100% want and work hard and there is always a possibility something better will come along and you might get that by proving yourself along the way!

Hopefully others will be happy to share

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Jesjes wrote: »

So my advice is that sometimes it's worthwhile taking a position you might not 100% want and work hard and there is always a possibility something better will come along and you might get that by proving yourself along the way!

Hopefully others will be happy to share

Yep I agree. While I'm not proud of it, I used some family ties to get my current position. I graduated last year also and couldn't find anything so I was happy to get something that's at least related to my degree if not what I see myself doing in the long run.

I've worked hard and tried to learn as much as possible and there's a chance albeit a slim one that I'll be kept on permanently. Which will mean experience, a bit of security and the full pay for the role as I'm currently on a probationary wage for want of a better term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Your first job out of college mightn't be relevant at all. Many graduates schemes by large companies are frozen, I'm pretty sure Bank of Ireland cut back theirs.

Or you can be unlucky. I graduated in 2004 and very few actually got graudate jobs straight away. I went into hotels for a months and others went to callcentres or travelling.
    It's no big deal, these things happen in cycles and you'll get sorted eventually.

Anyways, be wary of job hopping. If you're spend 2-3 years leaving each job after a few months or so, it's going to worry your next employer.
    So once you get your first graduate job, it's likely to be mind-numbing and low pay but consider sticking it out for one year at least.
    You can do what you want then.

I'm not saying they you get your depressed over some terrible job, just if it's your first job in your area have a think before you quit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Mairead1975

If you are finding it difficult to enter the market in your chosen path, then try to find any position which will develop other skills that may be transferable into your preferred profession in the future.

Mairead, Career Advisor
    <snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

tribulus wrote: »
    Yep I agree. While I'm not proud of it, I used some family ties to get my current position. I graduated last year also and couldn't find anything so I was happy to get something that's at least related to my degree if not what I see myself doing in the long run.

I've worked hard and tried to learn as much as possible and there's a chance albeit a slim one that I'll be kept on permanently. Which will mean experience, a bit of security and the full pay for the role as I'm currently on a probationary wage for want of a better term.

I was wondering if you anything when I noticed your sig was gone! You get a science role in the end?

I'm due to be chopped soon enough from my lab. I think I'll borrow your old sig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

sunnyjim wrote: »
    I was wondering if you anything when I noticed your sig was gone! You get a science role in the end?

I'm due to be chopped soon enough from my lab. I think I'll borrow your old sig.

Yep :)

Best of luck with the job search.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Oakbark

Since I'm a graduate looking for work in the near future, I don't know if I should really be posting here, but here's a few things I think are important to keep in mind:

- There's no point getting mad or upset about the current situation. You'll likely feel a little p**sed off that other people the year before you graduated got brilliant jobs, whereas you have no selection at all. While it's hard, forget what could have been and keep an eye out for jobs without resentment!

- Don't be a snob. Many graduates look down their noses at things like working in a shop or bar, purely because they expected a high-powered high-paying job straight away when they left college. There is nothing wrong with these jobs except your perception of them. Apply, apply, apply!

- Use the chance you've got to do things you've always wanted to do. The fact that there aren't that many jobs gives you an excuse to travel the world, try something completely different, and experience different things. It's easy to see the downside, but the fact you've got no clear line-up of job opportunities is a great excuse to just forget your original plans and make new ones.

Advertisement