Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RoundUp - results?

Options
  • 08-04-2009 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

RoundUp'd my dandelion patch last Saturday - it's now Wednesday, and the dandelions still look to be thriving. Surely they should be looking a bit sickly by now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Roundups systemic so there will be no rapid results but good long term control

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Thanks for that. Want to re-seed the lawn this weekend, so it's good to know I can dig away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

No, not really, if applied properly Roundup can take 7-10 days (sometimes longer) to completely kill weed. With Dandos you need to be more patient as the root will require more time than foliage.

Dig too early and you run the risk of propagating the weed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

No, not really, if applied properly Roundup can take 7-10 days (sometimes longer) to completely kill weed. With Dandos you need to be more patient as the root will require more time than foliage.

Dig too early and you run the risk of propagating the weed.
    Very true. I took almost 2 weeks before I saw any results when I used it, but the results were great and worth the wait.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I took almost 2 weeks before I saw any results

>sigh< Thanks. I'll put it off so. I just cut the flowers off them, in case they turn to seed heads while I'm waiting. Was this wrong?

• Advertisement

>sigh< Thanks. I'll put it off so. I just cut the flowers off them, in case they turn to seed heads while I'm waiting. Was this wrong?

No that was a good idea to do so. An old gardening saying: 'one year's seeding, seven years weeding!;)

well, in case anyone does this............

the day after I cut off the dandelion flowers, the little blighters turned into seed heads!! Even though they were cut off and lying in the grass where they fell, they used the sap in the stems to turn into seedballs! I had to go pick each of the little b***ers up!

Persistant little bu**ers. No wonder they're so difficult to get rid of!

well, in case anyone does this............

the day after I cut off the dandelion flowers, the little blighters turned into seed heads!! Even though they were cut off and lying in the grass where they fell, they used the sap in the stems to turn into seedballs! I had to go pick each of the little b***ers up!

Persistant little bu**ers. No wonder they're so difficult to get rid of!

Well done JC

with such vigilence and determination to eliminate the dandolions, you're now well on the way to becoming a dedicated garden with intimate subject matter expert or perhaps on the other side of the fine line considered a 'half-wit' by non-gardeners!! :D

Truth is, once you start you'll never want to finish. Someone once called gardening a leisure activity, fact is, it's more activity than leisure, but that's the fun part?

Happy gardening.

Advertisement