Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A Garage that will fit 3rd Party Tyres?

Options
  • 08-04-2009 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone knows of a garage that will fit tyres that WERE NOT bought from them for you?

I'm being quoted €245 to have 1 tyre fitted, and I can buy the same tyre for €81 euro online.

I understand their reluctancey to fit tyres that they did not sell (ie I drive into a wall after my dodgey tryes blowout), but the labour charge on tyres in Ireland is an absolute joke.

Please help!!

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

jusmeig wrote: »

I'm being quoted €245 to have 1 tyre fitted,

Check eiretyres IIRC they have a list of fitters to fit their tyres ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone knows of a garage that will fit tyres that WERE NOT bought from them for you?

I'm being quoted €245 to have 1 tyre fitted, and I can buy the same tyre for €81 euro online.

I understand their reluctancey to fit tyres that they did not sell (ie I drive into a wall after my dodgey tryes blowout), but the labour charge on tyres in Ireland is an absolute joke.

Please help!!

J

The reason most places won't do this is in case they tear the tyre putting it on, which can happen with low profile tyres. I don't think you'll find a place that will do this to be honest OP.

My old idea of a DIY garage is coming into my mind again, a place where you can pay per hour to do the work yourself, fully equipped...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Hi there,

Please help!!

J

ya eiretyres have a list on their site

I used a guy in Maynooth. He charged 15 per tyre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Darragh29 wrote: »
    The reason most places won't do this is in case they tear the tyre putting it on, which can happen with low profile tyres. I don't think you'll find a place that will do this to be honest OP.

My old idea of a DIY garage is coming into my mind again, a place where you can pay per hour to do the work yourself, fully equipped...

Atlas Tyre Co. in Stillorgan will do it for you, no hassle OP.

Darragh, there's a problem with that though - How many people, even competent DIY mechanics, can use a tyre changer safely? I can, but I've spent many evenings swapping tyres in an uncles garage. Most would just make **** of the tyre, rim and machine! :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Darragh29 wrote:
    they have them in the UK 24 hour
    is there a market here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

There's a mobile tyre service here in Galway - you don't even need to go to him !

He just removed 6 old, fitted and balanced 6 new, to loose wheels, for me, for Eur 80.

No clue on your profile where you are......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

thanks for the info guys.
    Regarding ripping the low profiles, even if they ripped 3 for everyone 1 they put on my car, it would work out WAYYYYYY cheaper than getting €245 per wheel.

Im in Dublin btw, and going to contact the numbers you gave me there.
    I'll let you know how it goes.

Big Market for this service if you ask me, would save people a a fortune!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    Atlas Tyre Co. in Stillorgan will do it for you, no hassle OP.

+1 they did it for me a few months ago no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Gonna guy them here: http://www.tyreshop.ie
    Getting a great deal as the tyres I want are on special on that site. €91 a tyre!

Found an autoshop in Ballymun that will fit them for €20 a tyre fitted and balanced. €222 all in.

Auto Tyre Services
    Pappins Rd
    Telephone: 01 8379486

Advance Pitstop in Raheny where charging me €245 for one tyre fitted and balanced. (same tyre) It's profit margins and grab and run prices like that which has taken Ireland to where it is today!!!!!! thank god for the interweb and public forums!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Gonna guy them here: http://www.tyreshop.ie
    Getting a great deal as the tyres I want are on special on that site. €91 a tyre!

Found an autoshop in Ballymun that will fit them for €20 a tyre fitted and balanced. €222 all in.

Auto Tyre Services
    Pappins Rd
    Telephone: 01 8379486

Advance Pitstop in Raheny where charging me €245 for one tyre fitted and balanced. (same tyre) It's profit margins and grab and run prices like that which has taken Ireland to where it is today!!!!!! thank god for the interweb and public forums!

Go to Camskills, the tyres are much cheaper, I got FK 452's for €65 a corner - & they are a proper performance tyre.

http://camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b443s15p0

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

Summerhill spares in coolock had a sign up saying they do it for €10 a tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Buy yourself a van and this kit and off you go!

Great business for the recession, just make sure you offer boardsies a 10% discount!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭patftrears

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Go to Camskills, the tyres are much cheaper, I got FK 452's for €65 a corner - & they are a proper performance tyre.

http://camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b443s15p0
    +1 cheaper than any other online place I found

place in Jones Road near Croke Park €25 to fit and balance 2 tyres, forget the name, a few places down there

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

To the OP, what size & brand tyre is it? I work in a tyre garage and I can't see why he'd be charging €245 for a tyre you can buy for €81 margins aren't that big on tyres. We normally charge €15 a tyre if someone brings in their own tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tomkelly

Hello Jesmuig, I am a garage owner in Galway and have a tyre shop..<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

tomkelly wrote: »
    Hello Jesmuig, I am a garage owner in Galway and have a tyre shop.. <SNIP>

Thats expensive, I got 4 tyres fitted onto alloy rims plus balancing for €40 in Mullingar, plus the guy took my old tyres for no extra charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

DonJose wrote: »
    Thats expensive, I got 4 tyres fitted onto alloy rims plus balancing for €40 in Mullingar, plus the guy took my old tyres for no extra charge.

Indeed it, I got 2 tyres fitted for that including balancing and disposing of the old ones.

BTW I'm sure the OP is well sorted since this thread is 7 months old.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

tomkelly wrote: »
    Hello Jesmuig, I am a garage owner in Galway and have a tyre shop..<SNIP>

Tom,
    Advertising on boards.ie isn't free, i've removed part of your post, i'd also think twice about posting personal details like phone numbers etc online, you'd never know who'd start calling you.
    Thread closed as it's a bit of a zombie.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement