Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL broadband - who to choose?

Options
  • 08-04-2009 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi there, I need your help here.

I am leaving my current ISP (SkyConway - never ever will use any of their services and wouldn't recommned this command to anyone) and the only option for me seems to be to get a landline from Eircom and then a DSL from one of the ISP. My quick search found these ISPs:

Eircom
    Magnet
    Perlico
    Digiweb
    BT
    Smart Telecom
    Imagine
    HomeVision

My question is: Which would you recommend? What is your experience with these companies?

I don't really fancy donwload limits as I want to download some movies and music via BitTorrent. I want to play online with my PS3.

So which ISP would you recommend me to go for?

Thank you in advance for all your advices and sharing your good or bad experience (don't want to make a same mistake like last time, when I went for SkyConway).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Smart Telecom all the way but its not available everywhere:pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If you can go with Smart go with them, also I hope those are legal movies you are refering to

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Magnet may well be available in your area, where are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭QenTox

North Bank, Castleforbes Road, Dublin 1. I was thinking about Smart Telecom and Magnet as well. Any other decent ISPs providing broadband via phone line? I am not sure, if in my area is Smart Telecom or Magnet, because I haven't got landline yet.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

QenTox wrote: »
    North Bank, Castleforbes Road, Dublin 1. I was thinking about Smart Telecom and Magnet as well. Any other decent ISPs providing broadband via phone line? I am not sure, if in my area is Smart Telecom or Magnet, because I haven't got landline yet.

Your either on the eastpoint or the summerhill exchange. Finding out which one of these you are on is key as one has ADSL2+ (Summerhill) and the other (eastpoint) doesn't as far as I'm aware.

There are ways of finding this out but none are 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Smart Telecom is the way to go if its available.
    I have 6meg (Uncontended) regularly get speed of over 800k download
    Also no DL limit ( for all those legal movies you want to download :rolleyes:)

I previousally had Eircom & BT . Would never go back to either of them

Advertisement