Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Metro North route via Depts Health & Education

Options
  • 08-04-2009 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭

Anyone know why Metro North wasn't proposed to have stations say at the Department of Health (Hawkins Street) and Education (Marlborough Street) to avoid digging up O'Connell Street etc? I heard recently that the Department of Health building is almost 'life expired' (plus an eye-sore) so would this proposal not have made some sense?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭SeanW

Why would you not want to have a station on O'Connell St? The long term benefits of having a station on the city's main street will surely negate the short term digging?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

I didn't say I didn't want a station in O'Connell street, but sackville lane (or is it place) is only what 100m long? I'm not arguing either way, just asking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Stupido

IIMII wrote: »
    Anyone know why Metro North wasn't proposed to have stations say at the Department of Health (Hawkins Street) and Education (Marlborough Street) to avoid digging up O'Connell Street etc? I heard recently that the Department of Health building is almost 'life expired' (plus an eye-sore) so would this proposal not have made some sense?

They are protected structures at Marlborough street...why would they be life expired?

I think you refer to Hawkins house on Hawkins Street.

BTW the station hole would have been too great for the green area at Marlborough street I believe

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Stupido wrote: »
    They are protected structures at Marlborough street...why would they be life expired?

I think you refer to Hawkins house on Hawkins Street.

BTW the station hole would have been too great for the green area at Marlborough street I believe

He said it was Health's building which was life expired. That would be the horrific, almost brutalist (but not brutalist enough to give it architectural merit) Hawkins House.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Cheers lads. It just seemed an obvious question to ask (completely irrelevant at this anyway whether it's built or not, and I do like the O'Connell street stations etc) but it seemed like an option which might have taken away some of the ire of the business community (and gotten rid of the pig-ugly Hawkins house).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

IIMII wrote: »
    it seemed like an option which might have taken away some of the ire of the business community

This is correct - not closing down O'C st during excavation, and also the futility of building 2 underground lines at two different widths.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,243 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Actually, if you go throguh the evidence on the RPA website, they talk about this. They would have to acquire and demolish several properties.

Advertisement