Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot Expert Van Heat Shield Issue

Options
  • 08-04-2009 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I bought a brand new Peugeot Expert Van in Feb of 2008. Since then I've had to have the heat shield at the front of the engine replaced three times under warranty. Has anyone else experienced this problem? It seems to be a design flaw as it is made of very flimsy light alluminium where it is bolted on to the engine block. Any thoughts on this?

Also my dealer is trying to charge me for a new fan belt after only 46,000km. Is this normal?

Cheers,
    Podge.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭SQ2

How did you get on with this Podge? Had the same problem with mine which they replaced in August '09 and has now contributed to a far larger problem.

Just before christmas I broke down in a cloud of steam and smoke on the motorway with no dash warning. The Engine had overheated and the head warped as a result.

The Garage that towed me found the problem to be due to the heatshield vibrating/rattling against the intercooler, causing it to spring a hole and lose water.

They sourced a 2nd hand engine and would have fitted it for under 2k.
    I went back to the Peugeot garage as I thought it was under warranty still, but it turns out there was only a 2yr warranty, not 3! They enquired to Peugeot France as to whether they could provide any assistance due to the low mileage and unusual nature of the problem. They returned with a goodwill offer of covering 40% of replacing the head, which would come to about 2400!!

I told them I was not happy with that so they sent the Irish warranty guy to look at it, and now says it'll need a new engine as replacing the head might not prevent trouble down the line. I'm now waiting to see what they will tell me this will cost!

I had it serviced regularly, but not in the Peugeot dealer, and it passed the DOE in August.

Has anyone else come across such an incident before, or have any advice for me??

I certainly didn't think I' have to be putting that sort of money into the van less than 3 years after buying it new

• Registered Users Posts: 39 podgesax

SQ2,
    thanks for the reply, and sorry to hear about the hassle you've had. Peugot definitely have a lot to answer for.

I have had the shield replaced since I first posted. However, just after Christmas, the replaced heat shield has once again cracked and is vibrating just like the previous ones have. I've pushed a piece of plastic in it to stop vibrating temporarily.

My van is also now out of warranty, but I'm going to argue that heat shield has already been replaced twice and that it is made of substandard material.

Also, I have had mine serviced regularly and passed the DOE.

I will be returning to the garage where I bought it next week to complain as they didn't return calls for any of my voicemessages.

Did you every get this resolved? The heat shield in my van has since pierced the water cooler in my van too, although I caught it before it overheated!

podgesax wrote: »
    Did you every get this resolved? The heat shield in my van has since pierced the water cooler in my van too, although I caught it before it overheated!

Very lucky for you podge, ended up having to replace it with a 2nd hand engine with a local mechanic. Peugeot offered me 50% goodwill after an initial 40%, but it still came to about 2600. Hard on the pocket either way and still raging. Got it chipped too since and makes a huge difference to the performance.

What does getting it "chipped" mean? How does it effect performance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Demmo

There is usually quite a substantial rattle from the heatshied when it is vibrating. did you not hear it? Its takes ages for it to go throught the oil cooler, therefore totally preventable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Hi lads, Where exactly is the heat shield as I think I may have the same problem in an 06 van.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Its the left side/below the turbo....I'm guessing ye are talking about the 1.6 hdi.

Should look like this...:-)
    They usually break off where part 9 is bolted onto the head.

berlingo16hdifrontheatshield2.jpg

Demmo wrote: »
    There is usually quite a substantial rattle from the heatshied when it is vibrating. did you not hear it? Its takes ages for it to go throught the oil cooler, therefore totally preventable.
    Yes, that dreaded rattle is bi-annual occurrence with my van unfortunately. Each time I've got it either replaced or tightened as soon as was possible, but sometimes I was waiting weeks for the garage to get the part.

On one occasion they told me they had it ordered from their supplier but it was subsequently sold out resulting in further delays. (obviously a common defect.)

I don't think the cumulative effect of the rattling of the heat shield time and time again on the cooler is preventable even if it takes "ages" as you say. It's clearly a defective design.

I've no doubt I'll be fitting a new one or at minimum getting this one tightened again when winter kicks in... It'll have to for a Hiace next time! I'm afaid:)

What does getting it "chipped" mean? How does it effect performance?

You can have the ECU unit re-programmed with different fuel management instructions to increase fuel efficency, or for better acceleration. The instructions that come pre programmed are considered to be on the safe side to protect the engine. Now if I floor it like I had to previously to get moving I get great acceleration, but you'll have a very obvious drop in fuel economy. It's good to have it there for the possibly once a month time you actually want to use it.
    Demmo wrote: »

There was a loud rattle off it about 2 years ago and it turned out to be broken somewhere, you could physically rock it back and forth, and peugeot replaced it under warranty after about a week. This time around there was no apparent rattle (out of the ordinary), and therefore, not totally preventable by me on this occasion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement